Bex's Reviews > Requiem

Requiem by Lauren Oliver

did not like it
bookshelves: read-2013

This review will spoil the heck out of the series, FYI.

First of all, I wasn’t the biggest fan of Delirium—it was overwritten, over-long, and overwrought. That sentence is a shout-out to Oliver’s style of employing three descriptors or modifiers to nearly everything!

I did like the second book, Pandemonium. It was fast-paced and Lena had evolved into a more interesting and active character. She was strong and smart, and I liked her slowly growing feelings for Julian. I liked that she dealt with the presumed death of her first love and surprised herself by finding her second.

I didn’t like the end and rolled my eyes when her first love magically reappeared at the end of the book. Side note: It’s amazing how often the people Lena needs to find magically appear at various points in this series!

The second book turned the series around for me and I looked forward to seeing how Lena would evolve, how the triangle would be resolved, and how the “invalids” would face off against their former society.

However, the series closer didn’t do any of those things. In fact, it didn’t do much of anything at all.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Requiem.

Started Reading
March 11, 2013 – Finished Reading
March 12, 2013 – Shelved
March 12, 2013 – Shelved as: read-2013

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

pdbkwm I'm left wondering if the Delirium series was just the beginning for another series Olivier is working on.

message 2: by Bex (new) - rated it 1 star

Bex You're probably right, but I think there is a way to leave room for another book (or even a series) while also delivering a relatively satisfying conclusion to this series.