Craig Bergland's Reviews > Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohammed Cross the Road?: Christian Identity in a Multi-Faith World

Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohammed Cross the Road? by Brian D. McLaren

it was ok
bookshelves: christianity

This book may well be an adequate primer for evangelicals who have never considered cooperation with people from other traditions in a meaningful way, but if you have thought about such things for more than five minutes this book is a waste of time and you will see it as simplistic and unrealistic.

My biggest complaint is that for a book purporting to be about Christian Identity in a Multi-Faith world, it spends the vast majority of its pages attempting to re-define conventional, conservative, evangelical, biblical literalist Christianity to be more open to others through modifying a doctrine (a solution that, quite frankly, won't work because doctinal emphasis by definition excludes others who don't share our world view) and precious little time discussing how we might get along with each other. When he does actually get around to discussing Christians existing in a multi-faith world, his suggestions are once again superficial and involve miminal risk. I have to ask, how can we learn to love one another and live together if we aren't willing to risk?

This book was a huge disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohammed Cross the Road?.

March 11, 2013 – Started Reading
March 11, 2013 – Shelved
March 11, 2013 – Shelved as: christianity
March 11, 2013 –
March 12, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Craig Bergland I am at chapter 21 of the audio book version, and what at first seemed like a very promising book about interfaith relations decayed rather rapidly into a discussion of revising doctrine and dogma. If there is anything that is a barrier to interfaith relations, it's doctrine and dogma. For evangelicals, this is probably a wonderful book that may broaden their horizons and challenge their beliefs. For people from a mainline background, it's old hat. For those of us living and working in an interspiritual or interfaith environment, the title feels like false advertising. I am forging on, disappointed so far.

Alex Dimarco I have some sympathy for your response from reading some of the journey you are undertaking after looking at your web site, but a critique like this dismisses the positives that the book is attempting to do where encouragement to the heart (and possitive details) of the message with a pointer or two .... (or a lot more) of advice from your experience would have sufficed. The more people and writers that are looking towards interfaith dialogue, the greater everyone benefits.
I too did not agree with the middle chapter's solutions though I am not confident on your solutions either, but I found your critique a bit harsh and unfortunate. I haven't finished the book completely, but your comments took me by surprise and influenced me towards an undeserved negativity towards the content which required me to "reset" my perspective.

Sincerely.