Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms) 's Reviews > The Sky Is Everywhere

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

bookshelves: 2014-tbr-challenge, cover-love, heartbreaking

Boricuan Bookworms- Book Reviews.

The Sky is Everywhere is so unique because it deals with something that most are predisposed to hate: love triangles

I went in thinking that this book would have been tolerable at best ( despite all the positive reviews because I’m very pessimistic ), which led me to go in with very very low expectations.

In a way I’m glad for that! This book blew me away! Not only does it take love triangles and exemplifies perfectly how they should be dealt with, but it also does so with such beautiful prose and pacing that you are captivated from the very beginning.

This book starts off introducing us to Lennie and the fact that she has lost her sister unexpectedly. Her grief is what first draws her into love interest #1, Toby. Toby was his sister’s boyfriend, and is the only one who knows what kind of grief Lennie is going through. Love interest #2 appears in a completely serendipitous way; he’s the new boy in town. Joe Fontaine doesn’t see Lennie with pity, he makes her feel happy for the brief moments she doesn’t remember her sister. Throughout the book, Lennie tries to sort out her feelings for each boy, while dealing with her grief over loosing her closest sister.

I love the fact that her deliberation between each boy made her learn so much. Lennie was lost for a while, and yet each boy (one more than the other) helped her put the pieces back together.

This book also dealt with grief so realistically! Grief was a heavy theme here as well, and the way Jandy Nelson explored it really floored me. I willingly let my heart get broken and do not regret a single thing.
“My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is."

Between each chapter there is also a piece of poetry written by Lennie, which gives us a closer insight into her relationship with her sister. Lennie writes these poems anywhere and everywhere and scatters them around town. I loved that. This was easily one of my favorite parts of the book because it solidifies the sisterly relationship more.

I also love how there’s a big emphasis on “family” here. Lennie’s family is really important to the story, and they truly make it all the more interesting.

The romance is so sweet and heartbreaking and smile inducing all at once! It was so beautiful how it kept building up regardless of Lennie’s deliberation between Toby and Joe. Throughout the novel you could see the scales going more to someone else’s favor than the other and I just loved that even if Lennie couldn’t see it yet, we [the readers] could.

I could go on about this book, because it’s honestly and easily one of my all-time favorites but I’ll just end it by saying that you should definitely try this book. It’s really extraordinary

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sky Is Everywhere.

March 11, 2013 – Shelved
December 21, 2014 – Started Reading
December 21, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014-tbr-challenge
December 21, 2014 – Shelved as: cover-love
December 21, 2014 – Shelved as: heartbreaking
December 21, 2014 –
page 45
16.36% "Funny thing is I didn't mean to start this book... I just kind of did. The writing is beautiful."
December 22, 2014 –