Diane's Reviews > Horse and His Boy: Full-Color Collector's Edition (Chronicles of Narnia

Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis

May 12, 2009

bookshelves: childrens-ya, fantasy, fiction, classics

** spoiler alert ** First read as a child in 1979. Now I'm reading the series to my son. He's only 6 but loves them. He'll love them even more when he reads them himself!

His favorite part was when Shasta was reunited with his father. When Bree and Shasta met Aravis and Hwin, when they were being chased by Aslan. Also, when Aslan was chasing them into Archenland and scored Aravis.

We just bought the hardcover boxed set with color illustrations. I'm quite vehemently against changing the order of the books and it annoys me that this set has put them in the "new" order. Having said that, this particular book is the only one that can serve equally well in either position #3 or #5, since there's no "real" world interaction at all. It's a floater, so to speak.

I have almost no recollection of this book at all from my childhood. Im sure I haven't read it again as an adult, so this very well might have been my second reading of it.

It shows a terrible side to Aslan, which is very much like an eye for an eye or punishment in order to teach a lesson. I not sure I like this Aslan so much and there was very little discussion or display of the gentle Aslan that instills an inexplicable love and adoration.

The story itself is quite exciting and very interesting with a few funny characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horse and His Boy.

May 12, 2009 – Shelved