Amy's Reviews > The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

May 11, 2009

bookshelves: nonfiction, 2011, own, kindle, thrifty-buy
Read from October 20 to 27, 2011

I'm torn on my rating for this -- it's probably more of a 3.5 for me, but I went with a 4 because I think it serves a good overview for people who really don't know what to do in a relationship.

Overall I think Chapman has a great idea here, at least in terms of making sure that you love someone the way that they want/need to be loved. That being said, though, I think it's a bit naive to believe that all you have to do is figure out someone's love language and suddenly your problems are dissolved. I was frustrated while reading the book because I felt, like I do with many of these relationship books, that the author was trying to say that the person who wants to see a change in the relationship just has to 'love' the partner the right way or the better way and suddenly the other partner will 'see' things more clearly. Sorry, but sometimes other people are just stupid and no amount of "loving" is going to change that; you can't 'love' an abuser better. (I know that's not the point, obviously).

There was a lot of religious undertones to the book, too, and I wasn't really expecting that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five Love Languages.

Quotes Amy Liked

Gary Chapman
“Forgiveness is not a feeling; it is a commitment.”
Gary Chapman, The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate

08/16/2016 marked as: read