Jennifer's Reviews > The Phoenix

The Phoenix by Ruth Sims

bookshelves: good, slashreaders

SlashReaders: I first looked at this book and there wasn't a whole lot of information on it so I didn't go for it right away. But finally I did. I mean I love it. The back of the book tells you more about the author than it does about the story it's self and to be honest with you that was enough to make me curious enough to read the book, "Ruth Sims is a cookie-backing Midwestern grandma who whips up meals from scratch and uses a flower pot as a chicken roster--and who has hardly ever ventured beyond the borders of rural Illinois.
She's also the author of The Pheonix, a deeply moving gay love story in the best traditions of Victorian Literature.
Though there are no degrees after her name, self-education began with the first book she ever picked up and hasn't stopped since or even slowed down a tad.

All in all the book was well written, not stilted in any way. The characters were well developed and they progressed at a reasonable state into things. I liked the fact that there was tension between them and that things didn't work out right away. I loved the twist at the end--and no I'm not going to tell you what it was--and how things went.

The plot was well written, the characters were great it's the kind of book that you sit down with and have a hard time putting down once you start. Though admittedly you rather want to beat the characters over the head a bit sometimes.

All in all a good book and I recommend that you all pick it up and enjoy it. This was a wonderful find in the mine field of other things out there. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phoenix.

Started Reading