Karschtl's Reviews > I Know What You Did Last Summer

I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois Duncan

Sep 03, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: movie, darkish, children_teenie, read-in-2005

Four kids drive home after a high-school-party, everyone - including the driver - a bit intoxicated and tipsy. Then happens what always happens in such situations: an accident on a dark road. They knocked over a young boy, riding with his bicycle. For fear of the police they don't administer first aid but instead do a hit-and-run.

One year later - they've almost forgotten the incident - they're reminded of it via mysterious letters. Someone outside of their circle seems to know their dark secret.

Lois Duncan wrote this book (and several other horror-mystery-books for teenagers) in the 1970s. In 1989 the storylines of her books caught up with her real life: her youngest daughter (18 at that time) was murdered under suspicious circumstances and found dead in her car. The case was never solved.

More than 20 years after it was published, this book was made into a Blockbuster-movie, following the success of "Scream". Duncan herself despises the movie because almost the whole story was changed (a full list can be found on Wiki) and the drama about four teenager struggling with their guilt and own conscience was turned into a slasher-movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know What You Did Last Summer.

message 1: by CC (new) - added it

CC I did not realize that. Thank you for sharing this. I know it was 2007 when you posted this review. I didn't know that the book was different than the movie. I want to read it now. It's sad about her daughter. Thanks again. I have read some of her books. The one about the twin sister that finds her through AProjection...that was weird book, it was fun reading it though.