Luke Burrage's Reviews > Chasm City

Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds

bookshelves: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners, paper-book, reviewed-on-the-sfbrp
Read 2 times. Last read April 6, 2012.

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #158.

It's been a long time since I read this, and I forgot how awesome it is. I think it was the first Alastair Reynolds novel I read too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasm City.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Wow 5 stars!

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Rowe My favorite book by Reynolds so far.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I can only see up to podcast #155 on the RSS feed. Is the review for this "coming soon"?

Luke Burrage If you listen to the most recent episode in the feed, I mentioned I'm away for 5 weeks on vacation in Africa. The trip ends on Monday. Don't worry, I'll get to reviewing these novels next week!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah! Okay, I remember hearing something about that when I had a bunch of the podcasts playing on random (I'm catching up as only recently began listening to your podcast). I hope you're having a great trip (and I'm wondering now about good science fiction novels set in Africa...).

message 6: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe Sweeney What a coincidence! I'm re-reading it too. I didn't care for it/get it very much the first time but something about it stuck with me and now I think it might be my favorite of his.

Brian This will be an unmissable episode for me! I love those (rare) times when someone whose thoughts about books I agree with nine times out of ten suddenly lauds something I'm so disparaging of. (The reverse situation is also quite fun.) Will be interested to hear what you saw in it and determine whether I'm off-the-mark for thinking "Chasm City" was a major step down from "Revelation Space" (and "House of Suns", which I'm devouring now). Five stars is a helluva lot of stars! Looking forward to it.

Luke Burrage I'll give it 4.5 stars in the review, it's just not possible to give fractional stars here.

Byron Kidd I really dislike books written in first person perspective and was looking for a way to return this to Amazon right from the very first paragraph. I'm really glad I didn't as this turned out to be my favorite book by Alastair Reynolds. Looking forward to listening to your review.

Peter It's remarkable how much my opinion mirrors your review. Yeah, the Chasm City parts of the narrative get a bit old after mid-way through the novel, but the backstory concerning the flotilla, Hausmann and the history of Sky's Edge makes up for them. Personally, I was always thrilled once the flotilla and Sky's Edge flashbacks kicked in.

Peter Oh, and the snake/worm-like creatures you've mentioned are called "hamadryads" (named after the mythical Greek nymphs that could turn into trees, IIRC). :-)