Michael's Reviews > Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen: A Classic Doctor Who Novel

Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen by Terrance Dicks

May 11, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: audio-book, doctor-who, read-in-2009
Read in May, 2009

Before we had easy access to telesnaps, orphan episodes and the complete audio soundtrack for missing stories, there was the Target novelization of the lost "Doctor Who" stories. I vividly recall picking this one up not because I knew it was a lost story but because the Target numbering system set up the stories alphabetically and this was the first in the line.

My young mind assumed that if it was the first in the range, there had to be something special about it.

Yes and no.

Listening to the audio release of the book, I'm reminded that this is one of those special Troughton stories I'd love to see returned in full to the BBC archives one day. The story isn't exactly taxing, but it's nicely told and offers a bit of a twist on the base under seige storylines that dominated the second Doctor's era. And having Patrick Troughton's son David read the story really boosts the story.

However, the novel is still the novel. Terrance Dicks (wisely) consolidates a few bits of the on-screen story, offering a more compact, tighter story. And while it's in the upper half of the Target novels, it's still not one of the great Doctor Who novelizations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen.

12/01/2017 marked as: read