K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > The Silver Linings Playbook

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

it was ok
bookshelves: funny, with-movie, drama, love-story, romance

The movie is better than the book. Normally, it is the reverse but this is one of the exceptions.

The movie got nominated in the 2013 Oscars for Best Picture, Actor in a Leading Role, Actress in a Leading Role (won), Actor in a Supporting Role, Actress in a Supporting Role, Directing, Film Editing and Writing.

I finished reading the book yesterday and so I bought a pirated DVD copy and watched it today. The movie people made the dull book somewhat better. Dull because it is all a rehash. I've seen enough of the mentally-challenged people who have golden innocent hearts in the past. Think Tom Hanks in 1994 movie Forrest Gump and Logan Lerman in last year's The Perks of Being a Wallflower. The story of Pat Peoples here in The Silver Linings Playbook basically follows the same plot as those of Forrest and Charlie. People find them all adorable because we all have our own deficiencies and these fictional characters triumph over theirs despite the fact that they are more mentally-challenged that most of us.

The book is heavy on references to soccer and Pat People's addiction to exercise. These were both toned down in the movie. Pat and Kitty did not dance to Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart but to some remix of tunes that I and my family thought would make them win like in the book. The movie also injected many dramatic scenes that made the story more memorable at least for me. However, the believability of the ending is better in the book. The movie, being a movie, made it more like in the tradition of romantic comedy hits. (view spoiler)

The book is an easy read. The prints per page are few and the font is big. The language is very contemporary and the dialogue is simple and direct with the author probably trying to capture the simpleness of a lunatic man's mind and thinking. Pat People believes that his life is like a movie. Again, not an original concept (not in the movie) but there is nothing original about this book so enough said. Oh, in the movie, there is a scene when Pat Peoples throws the book out of the window. I was thinking about doing the same but it's just that I love donating my used books especially those that I least appreciated and this book will surely be included in the next batch.

Overall, I don't hate this book. Just nice book to while away time especially during a long weekend like what I am having now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Linings Playbook.

March 9, 2013 – Started Reading
March 9, 2013 – Shelved
March 9, 2013 – Shelved as: funny
March 9, 2013 –
page 4
1.38% "Just started today. Why does his mother want him not to look handsome for his wife? hahaha"
March 18, 2013 –
page 72
24.91% "Do I believe in silver linings? Oh yes, there is always something positive hidden in anything that look bleak or disappointing. Things always have two sides: the negative and the positive and it is up to us to find the positive in all situations and people that we meet everyday."
March 19, 2013 –
page 122
42.21% "This feels like reading or watching "Forrest Gump" or "Perks of Being a Wallflower." Not totally an original plot. Well, the movie was nominated in Oscars. The book made money (I think). I have not seen the movie, but I think I will check that one if I find a copy."
March 20, 2013 –
page 169
58.48% "The plot is thickening. Some of the questions in my mind is being answered slowly. Of course I know that Pat Peoples is crazy but how crazy? Why did he get into the mental institution and prior to that how he could have married Nikki?... The filthy house that becomes the battleground between the parents. Oh I can't imagine living in a house like that. I wonder how they captured this in the film adaptation? Hahaha"
March 24, 2013 –
page 202
69.9% "This book is so easy to read that I find it hard to finish. I wonder why."
March 24, 2013 –
page 240
83.04% "Almost done. I am now in the 'blackout' part where "nothing seems to be working before the happy ending." - Pat Peoples."
March 25, 2013 –
page 246
85.12% "OMG. It was not Nikki. There was no Nikki. OMG. What is this book? Hope the last few chapters will explain this. Otherwise, OMG."
March 28, 2013 – Shelved as: with-movie
March 28, 2013 – Shelved as: drama
March 28, 2013 – Shelved as: love-story
March 28, 2013 – Shelved as: romance
March 28, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Courtney Way to admit to committing a crime on a public forum!

Katie Why would you "buy" a pirated DVD? Where was soccer in the book, all I remember was tons of American Football?

K.D. Absolutely Courtney, oh yes. I missed that.

Katie, pardon my inaccuracy. I keep on forgetting the difference because I am living in a non-football/soccer nation.

Maggie Young I totally agree! I couldn't finish the book. I got very bored with it.