tonya.'s Reviews > Eleanor & Park

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

bookshelves: 2013, favorites-of-2013, favorites, contemporary, music-centric, swoons, ya, poc

Win a signed hardcover of ELEANOR & PARK by Rainbow Rowell on The Midnight Garden!

Part of me wants to quote the entirety of John Green's NYT review of Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell and just call it a day, because he said everything I'm thinking anyway.

But I'll just echo this: you've read this book before. You've read the Misfit Boy meets the New Girl With Issues story before. You know the Big Girl Finds Love book by heart. You've read all about The Struggles of the Minority Boy in Middle America.

But you've never read it quite like this before.

Set during one school year in 1986, Eleanor & Park is a revelation of what YA contemporary can be. It's gritty. It's foul-mouthed. It's awkward. It's real.

There are no great philosophical speeches showcasing their elevated vocabularies. Neither of them do anything particularly special. Except love each other in such an ordinary way it makes you remember just exactly how extraordinarily, wonderfully painful that feeling of first love is.

If he were to look up now, he’d know exactly how stupid she was. She could feel her face go soft and gummy. If Park were to look up at her now, he’d know everything.

He didn’t look up. He wound the scarf around his fingers until her hand was hanging in the space between them.

Then he slid the silk and his fingers into her open palm.

And Eleanor disintegrated.

---

Holding Eleanor’s hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat. Liking holding something complete, and completely alive.

I feel at once as though I could go on forever about this book, but I want you to experience it for yourself. (I feel bad even posting that quote.) I want you to experience every moment of tension, or hesitancy, of joy. Of pain, and fear, and bravado. I want you to feel their strength and their passion. I want you to feel UNSETTLED.

And then, when you’re all done and are bursting to talk to someone about how much you loved it, I want you to come find me so we can discuss what is probably the most romantic line I’ve ever read.

Sigh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor & Park.

February 21, 2013 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
March 7, 2013 – Started Reading
March 7, 2013 – Shelved
page 30
page 40
12.2% "I'm all aflutter and they've literally said four words to each other."
page 75
22.87% ""Jesus. Was it possible to rape somebody's hand?" Cackle."
page 104
31.71% "DOCTOR WHO."
page 224
page 250
76.22% ""You're not the Han Solo in this relationship, you know." Heeee."
March 8, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Wendy Darling Whoa, 5 stars!

Riley Just finished it. <3

Riley "The build between Eleanor and Park is so quiet, so gradual, every tiny development is like a thunderclap shattering a still night. I want to fold up every hard-fought, hard-won word between them and carry them around in my pocket for safekeeping. (And their fragile, earnest little hearts, too.)"

Dude, what is "probably the most romantic line you've ever read"??

Angela Ha, sooo: I added a comment to the review over on the blog, and it took like 5 attempts to get the darn thing to actually post, as far as I could tell. I apologize in advance if you have 5+ comments about Jonah Griggs from me. :P

tonya. Riley wrote: "Just finished it. <3"

Did you love it? You loved it, right? Yes.

tonya. Riley wrote: ""The build between Eleanor and Park is so quiet, so gradual, every tiny development is like a thunderclap shattering a still night. I want to fold up every hard-fought, hard-won word between them a..."

tonya. Angela wrote: "Ha, sooo: I added a comment to the review over on the blog, and it took like 5 attempts to get the darn thing to actually post, as far as I could tell. I apologize in advance if you have 5+ comment..."

Well. You can never have too much Jonah. ;)

Riley tonya. wrote: "They just kill me, those two. SIGH. The most romantic line has to do with a certain intergalactic bounty hunter... "

LOL ah yes. Epic nerdiness ftw. :)

Rachel Patrick I loved this book SO MUCH. It was amazing and perfect and just UGH I could talk about it forever! I'm wondering...what did you think was the romantic line you've ever read? Great review!