Ridley's Reviews > Daughter of the Forest

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier

Mar 07, 2013

** spoiler alert ** Not for me. I don't do well with unhappy endings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Forest.

Finished Reading
March 7, 2013 – Shelved

message 1: by Ridley (new) - added it

Ridley Ungracious author is ungracious.

message 2: by Jae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jae That page is down, no cache either. But I love her books, this makes me sad.

message 3: by In2books (new)

In2books You must have hit a nerve. Link is giving a page not found error inside the blog.

message 4: by Ridley (new) - added it

Ridley I have a screenshot, but it's too small. I'm working on it.

message 5: by Ridley (new) - added it

Ridley

message 6: by Jae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jae Ouch, really, just ouch. I kinda wish I hadn't seen this, because now I'll feel a little guilty when I buy her next book. Which I totally will, because reasons.

message 7: by Chrysoula (new)

Chrysoula Tzavelas Ridley wrote: ""

What. The message she was so offended by was clearly, obviously teasing humor. And if she dislikes being asked basic questions so much why does she make herself available to be questioned? Ungracious is right.

message 8: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ *facepalm*

Clearly, since the post was taken down, someone informed her what a moron she was for writing it in the first place.

message 9: by Brie (new)

Brie What is with this epidemic of authors who lack a sense of humor? The Winchester boys need to throw some salt on her.

message 10: by Pisceschick (new)

Pisceschick Wow, so she's complaining because a reader is excited for her next book? The mind boggles. Yowch.

message 11: by Has (new)

Has I've enjoyed some of her books but this is definitely put me off her stuff in the future and wow so very ungracious. How can you complain about getting freaking fan mail? O_O

message 12: by Claire (last edited Mar 07, 2013 02:23PM) (new)

Claire Ugh, she's been removed from my to-read list. Especially disappointed because she's a fellow Kiwi...

message 13: by Kaetrin (new)

Kaetrin She's fine to have her thoughts in private, but to post them publicly? Just no.

message 14: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Biesse Haven't read her and will now actively avoid.

To quote Educating Rita on Lady Macbeth 'What a cow!'

Roz ~ My Written Romance Ok, someone forgot their filter. And their manners too. I'm over the moon when someone compliments me on my writing. It shows what you're doing is having an effect on people.

Yeah, people ask the same questions a lot. Suck it up, cupcake!

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I've never read this author, and after reading this rant, I never will. She claims her parents taught her manners...maybe they made the attempt, but she obviously didn't learn anything. Clearly Ms. Marillier feels she has fans to spare, because with such a disgusting display of ungraciousness toward someone who buys her work, she will surely be losing a few. The only person showing rudeness or negativity here is the author, in my opinion.

message 17: by Marci - (new)

Marci -  Serendipitous Readings I am shocked that 1., the author had the audacity to post this and 2., The author is "judging" the writer of this message saying she has enjoyed all of her books. Quite severely at that.

I think said "author" needs to go back to finishing school to learn how to mind her p's and q's.

Bad, uncivilized behaviour on her part and she should apologize to the person who wrote her an email. It is the writer of the email that took the time out of her busy schedule to buy her book, read her book, and then send an email. Take the compliments and move on!

I will not be buying this book or any others from this author - Rude, RUDE, RUDE !!!

I have worked as a book blogger with many lovely Authors that have the style and grace to accept any negative criticism as constructive criticism, and not like this author did acting defensive and catty.

Want to be Authors out there - This is ONE EXAMPLE OF WHAT NOT TO DO !!

message 18: by Anna (last edited Mar 07, 2013 05:57PM) (new)

Anna Kļaviņa This is worse than trolling authors who makes sock poppets and annoy people.

message 19: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Biesse What still bothers me is that she re-wrote the fan mail! Re-wrote it.

This the type of fanmail I want and how I should receive it!

Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell I can't believe she called some of those questions 'dumb.' I think where an author gets his or her ideas from is valid. Somebody clearly forgot her manners at home that day!

message 21: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany York Clearly this author has forgotten her days as a struggling, unknown writer.

message 22: by Issendai (new)

Issendai Honestly? It sounds like a list of the questions authors get over. and over. and over again. She's reacting with the same kind of frustration you feel when yet another self-published author wanders into the forums to whine about not being allowed to self-promote wherever they like. It looks out of proportion to people who are new to the forum, but completely understandable to old hands. Rants about some of these questions showed up in "how to be an author" books I read back in the 80's, and the questions were old and tired back then. ("Where do you get your ideas?" is one of the top offenders.) And these aren't things readers do in their own space; readers go to authors, in the author's own space, where the author can't avoid them. So I'd cut her some slack for talking about one of the aspects of the writing life that are less visible to readers.

As for the mock demands, at least two other authors have talked about them. They're far more common than readers think, and after a while, they stop coming off as playful. They're a real demand dressed up in a "just kidding!" And just like "just kidding!" doesn't make an insult feel any less insulting to the recipient (even though the onlookers may complain that the target doesn't have a sense of humor, it was just a joke, what's the big deal?), "I was only pretending" doesn't make the demand feel any less demanding.

message 23: by Ridley (new) - added it

Ridley Here's the thing: an author is a professional. She could've tackled all of these things with good humor. Instead, she reprinted a fan's email and held it up for ridicule and mockery.

That's the bad behavior. I wouldn't begrudge her frustration if she aired it in a way that still acknowledged how lucky she was to have such an engaged fan. Instead she just looks ungrateful and hostile.

message 24: by Kmont (new) - added it

Kmont This makes me think of that review over at Smart Bitches, can't remember the title to save my life...wait, something about Pregnesia?? Anyway, the review was funny and the book came off as not-so-great reading material, but the author commented and she was funny and engaging without knocking the reviewer or the review down. It surely earned her lots of admirers simply for being classy and not going on the attack. I know this case with Marillier was a fan, but it's the same concept.

And it doesn't matter if authors get the same questions over and over. They still shouldn't go on to explain why these are tiresome for them by saying readers asking them are dumb. If this is such a common question, where authors get ideas, obviously some readers have a genuine curiosity and want to make an effort to get to know the author better. If the author chooses to try to answer the question by explaining their idea process, great, they're allowing their fans to get to know them better. But if they say a reader is dumb for asking, well, they're also allowing their readers to get to know them better. If I was the author in question, it wouldn't be hard to figure out which was the better option.

message 25: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany York This is a very similiar scenario to what happens with actors. When you're first starting out, you'd kill for some publicity, for someone, anyone to appreciate your talent. Then once you're famous, all of a sudden you want your privacy, you don't want to do interviews, and you forget to be nice to the fans who have paid for that nice house you're living in or your childrens' college educations.

How about musicians who sing the same songs in concert they've been singing for years. You don't think they're sick of singing them? Of course they are, but they do it for their fans, because their fans expect it, and have paid to see them sing those very same songs.

If an author is tired of certain aspects of the "business," perhaps it's time to think about a career change.

message 26: by Laini (new)

Laini Why do people get so annoyed when someone asks where they get their ideas? I love sharing my inspiration with people. They usually enjoy hearing how even the most innocuous thing can give you a flash of inspiration. Seems a petty thing to get annoyed over.

message 27: by Tez (last edited Mar 10, 2013 05:06AM) (new)

Tez

And if that HTML sucks: http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/...

The all-important screencap from a comment on someone's Facebook. J Marillier "apologises", not for her writing it, but for us reading it. NON-APOLOGY.

message 28: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones WOW!!!! This floored me. NOT acceptable behavior.

message 29: by Kegan (last edited Mar 11, 2013 01:01AM) (new)

Kegan It’s funny how offended she was by the word stuff. To me when I mention my "Stuff" that's the items in my house I love the most. If you calculate it out it would cost over $100 to buy all of this authors books provided they were in paper back and new. Perhaps the person writing it was much younger. This makes the whole incident even sadder. So much can be avoided in misunderstanding like the above just by realizing that words don’t always mean the same thing from country to country and from generation to generation.

I have written one author in my life and it took a lot “courage” for me to do that. I dearly loved this author and wanted to tell her how much I loved her work, but I didn’t want to take away her time or offender her. I took me 3 days to write a simple 5 sentence letter. When she responded I was smiling for days, she was gracious and kind and even told me when her next book was coming out though I never asked for that info. I think sometime authors maybe forget that for some people contacting their favorite author isn’t as easy as just hitting send. It’s a really big deal and to be rejected so publicly, had to have really stung.

Batgrl (Book Data Kept Elsewhere) Wow, after reading her post the word ungracious seems kind. I really hope that fan who wrote the email never reads this.

message 31: by Lectus (new)

Lectus I didn't find anything offensive in the fan's email. The "get on with it" sound like something I would write with a smile on my face. That just means I totally love your work and I'm dying for the next one.

Woman, you are eating because of fans like that. Get a sense of humor!

I've never read any of her books and now I never will. Authors without a sense of humor should not be writers.

No wonder the post was taken down.

Gee, go get some vitamins or something. Paranoid much?

message 32: by Lectus (new)

Lectus OMG! I just remembered that I liked Elemental by Antony John so much that I left a message on his site saying something like "you better hurry up with the next book because I'm dying here!" but I was smiling as I wrote it.

Does that mean I was being rude? Was he offended by my comment? I won't be able to sleep again!

message 33: by Maija (new)

Maija I haven't read any of her books, but I think that her post is totally rude because 1. Her fan had bought ALL her other books after reading one -that means that the fan really appreciates the author's work and supports her writing (after all, the fan could have spared some money and borrowed the books at the library) 2. The email is most definitely written with a touch of humor.

message 34: by Highwind (last edited Mar 14, 2013 06:31AM) (new)

Highwind Am I the only one who thinks that mock demands and questions like "how much do you get paid?" are just plain rude? If someone tried to boss you around IRL or started asking you how much you make, on the grounds that they like you a lot so they have a right to know that, wouldn't you just tell them to get lost, no matter how humorous they tried to be about it?

message 35: by Claire (new)

Claire Alice wrote: "Am I the only one who thinks that mock demands and questions like "how much do you get paid?" are just plain rude? If someone tried to boss you around IRL or started asking you how much you make, o..."

1. The tone of the letter in general was one of humour and good will. It's obviously not meant to boss the author around and, if someone in real life said the same thing in the same tone, I'd laugh that off too. They're obviously not serious and the actions the author took in response were completely out of proportion.

2. Of course it's rude to ask what somebody earns, but with the media broadcasting how much money various best-selling authors make it's hardly surprising people need to be reminded that it's the same as asking about somebody else's wages. I don't think anybody expects her to be willing to share these details, but the overall tone of her blog was completely inappropriate and insulting and has caused many people to remove her from their to-read lists. Me included.

message 36: by Highwind (new)

Highwind Posting the letter is so ugh, though. Private correspondence is private.

message 37: by Highwind (new)

Highwind C.J. wrote: "but with the media broadcasting how much money various best-selling authors make it's hardly surprising people need to be reminded that it's the same as asking about somebody else's wages"
That money question always made me raise my brows, though, I simply can't imagine suddenly asking a stranger how much they make. I'd feel so awkward.

message 38: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Biesse In regards to the facebook post, the author didn't apologise for her behaviour or for being offensive. She apologised if anyone was offended without connecting the offense to her own post.

Stephanie Eh, you know what? People make mistakes. People need to stop posting stuff like this on a review site and stick to reviewing the works themselves and not the author. If you don't like the author then don't read the damn book and be done with it. Quit wasting other people's time; the people who are just looking for an honest review and not a witch hunt.

Madam Fish Sauce People make mistakes but the author sure isn't owning up to it. We're not wasting anyone's time. If you don't like the conversation being held, simply move along.