Eve's Reviews > Journey into the Whirlwind

Journey into the Whirlwind by Evgenia Ginzburg

bookshelves: memoir, survival, nonfiction, 20th-century

** spoiler alert ** The particular edition that I read was published in the 60s, which means that it was sewn through the fold. I love books bound this way; you don't have to hold them open. I wish all hardcover books were sewn through the fold.

Evgenia Ginzburg was sent to prison during the Stalinist purges of the late 1930s on a trumped-up charge, like many others. I had read about the purges, and I even read some Solzhenitzyn back in college, though that was a while ago now. Ms. Ginzburg describes in detail the circumstances of her arrest, interrogation, and trial which resulted in a ten-year sentence of solitary confinement. Mind you, she didn't actually serve in solitary for that long; due to overcrowding she was given a roommate after a while, and then was sent to the gulags with the rest of the political prisoners.

The book ends rather abruptly not long after her arrival at the work camp in Kolyma, in the far northeast of Siberia. She relates her transfer to the medical unit, a transfer which saved her life as she no longer had to work outside in the freezing cold. However, she was imprisoned for many more years after that and I would have been curious to know more details of what happened to her there, and then what happened after she was released. Did she find out what happened to her husband? She mentions that she never saw her son Alyosha again. Did he die? Was he missing? What about her reunion with her other child? I'm not sure why she didn't write the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey into the Whirlwind.

March 7, 2013 – Shelved