Lyla Payne's Reviews > Timespell

Timespell by Diana Paz

This is a lovely piece of fiction. The concept, which blends the Fates of Greek mythology with both contemporary California and Marie Antoinette's France, had me salivating from the start. Even though Diana succeeds wonderfully with a unique, ingenuitive plot, the concept didn't even end up being my favorite part of devouring this book.

That's because her characters absolutely blew me away. The story centers around the Daughters of Fate, three modern day girls destined to take over the Fates eternal duties - which also include banishing evil from our realm and protecting the pages of history. The first two girls we're introduced to are Angie, a studiously quiet, loyal friend who has known about her role as a Fate since childhood, and Julia, a more typical teen who's more interested in boys and what the Fate's magic can do for her than saving the world.

In order to come into their magic and be able to keep it, they need to find the third daughter...and soon. When they learn their third is Kaitlyn, their high school's resident mean girl, Angie and Julia both rethink being bound to her forever - except mythological forces have already broken into the human realm in revolutionary France, and if the girls don't find a way to get along for long enough to stop them, the fate of the earth could change for the worse.

The girls are so vastly different but equally well crafted that it's hard to choose a favorite. I'm probably in the minority in favoring Kaitlyn, who certainly does a heck of job making us hate her on the page, but who I came to understand well enough to love. The characters are beautifully drawn, realistic teenagers balancing their real lives with the expectations of their otherworldly duties, and I am so, so impressed with Diana's craft.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that there IS a boy, and he IS completely swoonworthy, complicated, and harboring a huge, heartbreaking secret that will leave you salivating for Diana's sequel. I know I am.

I can't recommend this enchanting debut highly enough. If you're a fan of history, mythology, or amazing books in general, you're going to want to pick this up NOW, not later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timespell.

March 6, 2013 – Shelved
Started Reading
March 28, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Diana Paz Thank you so much for the lovely review, Lyla! I'm so happy to hear your thoughts on my book, and especially what you thought about Kaitlyn. She tends to get *very* different reactions! :)

xo