Simone's Reviews > Losing February

Losing February by Susanna Freymark

7520534

liked it
bookshelves: aww2013, great-aus-reads-2013

Bernie is a divorced mother of three who lives near Byron Bay. Working as a journalist at the local paper, her life is thrown completely into a spin when an old lover, Jack, reappears in her life. Although the connection felt by both of them is as strong as it ever was, Jack is married and will not have sex with Bernie. This does not stop them meeting up, but leaves Bernie frustrated and sends her on a journey into a much darker part of herself.

Feeling rejected by Jack, Bernie takes to frequenting chat rooms and other sites on the hunt for sex alone. This need becomes a compulsion in Bernie's life and sees her indulge in some reckless behaviour, including becoming involved in the swinger's movement.

This is definitely not a book for the faint hearted! The sex scenes and language in the story are graphic and confrontational. Although necessary to the storyline I did find them overpowering at times.

I must admit I didn't totally understand Bernie's actions and couldn't completely warm to her as a character. I found it difficult to believe she could be so completely seduced (for want of a better word) by encounters that are so meaningless and shallow.

The writing in the book is great and the pace and setting work well. I just don't think it was really my kind of book and occasionally found myself skimming pages, just to get through it. For that reason I was undecided between a 2 and 3 star rating - ultimately deciding that a 3 was fairer because it is more about my taste that the way the story is written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing February.

March 6, 2013 – Started Reading