Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Wonder

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

♪♫♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ “O, I believe
Fate smiled and destiny
Laughed as she came to my cradle
Know this child will be able
Laughed as she came to my mother
Know this child will not suffer
Laughed as my body she lifted
Know this child will be gifted
With love, with patience and with faith
He'll make his way” ♪♫♪♫♪♫

For anyone who even is thinking about saying this is a kid’s book . . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

And also you are wrong. Wonder is a book for EVERYONE. Seriously. Like every single human being on the entire planet. And maybe even your dog. Hands down the best Middle-Grade book I’ve ever read. So much so that I just did a re-read and I never do a re-read.

This is the story of August Pullman and his experiences during 5th grade – which just so happens to be the first year he ever attended school after being homeschooled. Why was Auggie homeschooled???? Well . . .

“Rat boy. Freak. Freddy Krueger, E.T. Gross-out. Lizard face. Mutant. I know the names they call me. I’ve been in enough playgrounds to know kids can be mean. I know, I know, I know.”

Fifth grade is the year that Auggie’s parents decide they need to attempt to expose him to the real world. They realize that reality for Auggie might be harsh and offer him the opportunity to go back to homeschooling at any time, but remain hopeful that people will look past Auggie’s exterior and see the exceptional person he really is.

A little backstory: Awhile back it came to my attention that my youngest child was claiming to be doing his required reading, but really was . . . well, pretty much just staring off into space and doing anything except reading. (He is my child so you have to figure there’s some buttholery that rears its ugly head every now and again.) The easiest solution to the problem? Buddy read with dear ol’ mom. So I forced him to read my favorite “kid book” and guess what happened?????

Palm Springs commercial photography

He started flagging quotes just like his nutcase mother . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

Know what else? It really kind of kicks all the butt to have “book club” with a small human. We’d read 20 pages a day (the required amount – unfortunately I’m not a miracle worker so he still doesn’t loooooooooove the process of reading like I do) and then drink hot cocoa and talk about what we read (to confirm he really was reading this time and not pretending). Sometimes we would share tears and sometimes we would share laughs. We always shared the importance of being a “Jack” rather than being a “Julian.”

Small humans final reaction? “PHENOMENAL. 5 Stars. Every kid should read this and we should read books like this in class instead of the boring stuff they make us read.”

My reaction?????

Palm Springs commercial photography

This book will break your heart . . . but then it will put the pieces back together again. Filled with lessons of being a decent person that it teaches in the best, most non-preachy way possible. Bottom line is it is just . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

Have you seen Hot Rod? It’s kind of the worst movie ever while simultaneously being the best movie ever. My kid is a freaky movie quoter like his mother and encouraged me to overshare this gif. If you read the book you’ll see it makes sense. What are you waiting for? Go read it right now. Here, I’ll even help you with the supplies you’ll need before starting . . .

I bought a hardback of this book because it is seriously one of the best things I’ve ever read. I look forward to forcing my future grandchildren to experience all of its Wonder just like I did to their daddy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

March 6, 2013 – Started Reading
March 6, 2013 – Shelved
March 29, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2013
April 4, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
April 25, 2013 – Shelved as: ya-for-grown-ups
January 23, 2016 –
page 1
0.31% "So begins the 20 page at a time buddy read with the small human. Imma need a lot of Kleenex."
January 28, 2016 –
page 70
21.88% "So I guess this is really a "70 page a week buddy read" instead of 20 pages a night. The price you pay when you buddy up with a book hater. Number of times I've cried? FOUR. I HATE FEELINGS!!!!!!!"
February 17, 2016 –
page 222
69.38% ""Then she hugged me very, very tight while we both cried a million tears." And then Kelly ate her feelings in the form of an entire bag of tortilla chips and a truckload of salsa."
February 25, 2016 – Shelved as: like-this-or-we-cant-be-friends
February 25, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016
February 25, 2016 – Shelved as: skillet-to-the-face
February 25, 2016 – Shelved as: own-it-spent-my-food-money-on-it
February 25, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Alissa Patrick This book. Yes.

Valerie (Howler_Puff) I almost bout this at Target the other day! I picked it up, put it back picked it up, and then put it back once again! I was really torn on getting it! I knew I should of had a fuck it moment and bought the damn book!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Valerie (Dobby_Puff) wrote: "I almost bout this at Target the other day! I picked it up, put it back picked it up, and then put it back once again! I was really torn on getting it! I knew I should of had a fuck it moment and b..."

go back!

I totally told the boy child that reading a book is now required for his homeschooling. LOL He is starting this one today. He said he knew that you and I were just making him read because he heard us talking about it.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Tell him I'll give you a whole damn list of required reading if he doesn't cooperate ; )

Valerie (Howler_Puff) Shelby *trains flying monkeys* wrote: "Valerie (Dobby_Puff) wrote: "I almost bout this at Target the other day! I picked it up, put it back picked it up, and then put it back once again! I was really torn on getting it! I knew I should ..."

Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "BUY IT!!!!!!"

Haha! I will go back to get it! I was torn and my child was being a giant butthead yelling in the cart!

message 8: by JocelynH (new) - added it

JocelynH its true this book is for everyone

debra I Loved, Adored, and Hugged this book!!! (I really did hug it) Your review was wonderful, Kelly!!!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thank you debra! I don't think this will ever leave my top 10 faves of all time : )

debra Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Thank you debra! I don't think this will ever leave my top 10 faves of all time : )"
Me too ! :))

message 12: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna You and debra have convinced me :) I really love this review. As for flagging quotes....both my daughter and I do that too :)

Great review!

message 13: by Kelly (and the Book Boar) (last edited Apr 08, 2017 05:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks Deanna. I know you'll love this one so I have no bad feelings about pushing it on you : )

Valerie (Howler_Puff) I got this book about a month ago because I remembered your review on it. I still haven't read it, but I got it. Haha

message 15: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike The review was terrific, but the backstory was phenomenal and compromised me emotionally. This was a wonderful tribute to a book you loved, Kelly. Poaching this one for my Mount TBR.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks so much Mike! The kiddo is counting down until the movie release now. It really was a miracle book for us LOL ; )