Krys's Reviews > Entangled

Entangled by Amy Rose Capetta

Entangled is an upcoming debut by Amy Rose Capetta. I downloaded it on a whim through Netgalley several weeks ago. I didn’t expect to love this book, but I do. It’s shot up into my favourites for the year.

Cade has always fought against the Noise, an invasive force that pervades her consciousness. Armed with her guitar, Cherry-Red, and attitude she fends off the sounds as best as she can. When a hologram named Mr. Niven informs her that she was created by Firstbloom everything that Cade knows is turned upside down, including the Noise. Cade is Entangled to a man named Xan, bonded on a mental level to balance one another and reduce the Noise. Cade was the stronger of the pair and was allowed to leave Firstbloom but Xan was left behind in a coma for fifteen years. Now that Cade knows about Xan she vows to see him but Firstbloom was raided and Xan was taken and it’s up to Cade to get him back. With Cherry-Red in hand Cade takes off on a journey across the stars to find him.

There are many interesting elements that Capetta plays with in the book; themes of identity, sacrifice, fate, and betrayal. Contrasting to those are several harsh Scientific elements that give this novel an excellent flavour. It is, more or less, a quest book, but the journey is magical and profound, asking a constant “what if?”. Along the way Cade interacts, and befriends, a host of people. She opens up and learns who to trust, and who to fear. It takes her a long time to realize that these people are more than occupants in the living space ship that she has boarded. They are friends and confidants, family even, bonded through shared experiences and honour rather than by lab technology.

Cade is a great character, all harsh edges and witty banter. She’s the every person’s take-no-prisoners badass girl and I want to be friends with her. She’s one of those characters who sticks with you long after the book is done.

Capetta’s writing is what really sets this novel apart for me. Peppered with clever phraseology this novel stands on its own just for the language. She uses metaphors and similes in ways that I have never seen before, and I loved every bit of it.

I cannot recommend this book enough. Go buy yourself a copy now. It’s a fun, enjoyable, and witty romp across the universe and beyond.

5 out of 5 stars.

- review courtesy of www.bibliopunkkreads.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entangled.

March 5, 2013 – Shelved
March 5, 2013 – Shelved as: medium-length-book
March 5, 2013 – Shelved as: science-fiction
March 5, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 19, 2013 – Started Reading
September 21, 2013 –
page 40
11.9% "This is really intriguing. However, currently reading 3 sc-fi books right now. Deluged."
September 22, 2013 – Shelved as: debut-2013