Sheila's Reviews > The Silver Linings Playbook

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

Who cries after listening to Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart?

Pat Peoples, the offbeat hero of The Silver Linings Playbook.

When in a difficult situation where retaliating through violence or similar abuse is probable, he runs away, literally, from the situation, until he can feel his tears mixing with his sweat. Yes, Pat is a man who cries when he's being unkind.

He's special that way.

So everyday he improves his mind by reading books and everyday he improves his body by running and lifting weights. And he improves his soul by sincerely being friends with a woman who can give him nothing, it seems, a woman he isn't married to.

My favorite scene was when Pat was holding his best friend's daughter, Emily, in the water, just treading and letting the waves and the sun embrace them and realizing in that one unexpected moment that he can be happy doing just that, just swimming with a little girl, so he kisses her chubby cheeks repeatedly and vows to create a little girl of his own.

That went straight to my female heart.

Very few men I know reveal their true feelings about their families and children so it's heart-warming to know when they do.

Another thing of note in this book is how the author reveals our treatment of people who are mentally unstable, how we glorify their perceived weaknesses. And it's tragic how we can be unkind to and disrespectful of people who are just having a hard time dealing with all the shit the world gives them, as if we got it all figured out ourselves and that our perfect lives is something to be admired or aspired to.

I like Pat Peoples, not because he's sweet in his delusion that he'll ever get back his old life, but because he sincerely wants to rebuild himself into a better man.

So if all men were like Pat Peoples, I wouldn't mind if they cry over the silliest of love songs. Because if they can cry over a love song, they can cry over the smallest unkindness or injustice. God knows, the world needs more men like that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Linings Playbook.

March 5, 2013 – Started Reading
March 5, 2013 – Shelved
March 5, 2013 –
page 44
March 6, 2013 –
page 63
March 7, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Good to see you back, Sheila.

Sheila Hi T! Just busy the past months. And I can't seem to get the right mood or message. I can only write when I have something to say and Pat Peoples did it for me. Such an interesting, inspiring modern man : )

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sheila wrote: "Hi T! Just busy the past months. And I can't seem to get the right mood or message. I can only write when I have something to say and Pat Peoples did it for me. Such an interesting, inspiring moder..."

Ah, well, those are very good reasons -- in fact, the best of reasons. And I will certainly be looking forward to the next time you are inspired by such a character!

Have you seen the movie?

Sheila Yes, I have. It's your typical Hollywood romantic dramedy. Worth watching just the same. But the book paints a more serious picture of mental health and of how we treat people who are unstable. For that alone, Mr.Matthew Quick deserves to be read.

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sheila wrote: "Yes, I have. It's your typical Hollywood romantic dramedy. Worth watching just the same."

That's what I figured, which is why I am reluctant to see it. :) Maybe if it's ever on TV for free, I'll watch it then.

Sheila Thanks SP, K.D., and T: )

K.D. Absolutely I am now reading this book.

Sheila Ok, K.D., but you know me when I review----I focus only on the good stuff. And when a book is not good at all, I don't review : )

K.D. Absolutely That means this good is book. I am kinda liking it. Maybe I'll gain some speed this weekend. :)

Sheila Thanks Che, Barbara, Shonna, Emily, and Lynai : )

Sheila Thanks Nica!

Sheila Thanks Cho!

Sheila Thanks Suzanne!

Wayne Sutton Dude, I ain't gonna lie! I totally BAULED after dance recital and his brother and tailgating buddies were there!!!!

Sheila Wayne, I'm not used to men crying. But I must say, it gives me comfort when they can show some of that pent up feelings. It makes men human: )

message 16: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon I teared up during total eclipse. Don't tell anyone. I have not cried since seeing the movie savannah smiles back in the 80s. :)