Heather Gunter's Reviews > Haven from the Storm

Haven from the Storm by Sarah Dosher

Mar 05, 2013

My first thought when I finished this book was, WOW. What a fantastic first book that is written so incredibly well. Let me start by saying that I have a thing for books that discuss hard topics. I like a read that gives you something to think about and takes you to a place that most do not.

Lilly has been through hell and back. Her mother and brother died in a tornado and she is left to fend for herself with her father. Dean is the boy she loved as a child and still harbors feelings for. Lilly's father is horrific. She hides away in her room and only comes in or out when he's not home. Lilly is as strong as they come. She never complains, or asks for help and takes it day by day just waiting until she can leave the small town and her father behind. Lilly has many layers to her. She's sweet and kind and rolls with the punches. If only we could all have a little Lilly in us all...

Dean never once forgot about Lilly but has come back to town to take her back and to beg for her forgiveness knowing that they truly belong together. Dean is a hunk. He is sweet, genuine and remorseful. He takes responsibility for his actions and doesn't waste time telling Lilly exactly how he feels.

Adley is Lilly's best friend whom you can't help but fall in love with right off of the bat. She has Lilly's back and would fight tooth n' nail for her.

Violet is Dean's Grandmother and matriarch of the story. To me she was the heart and the glue. She is a spitfire of a lady that tells it like it is but loves fiercely and unconditionally.

What a powerful read that deals with the topic of physical, verbal and emotional abuse. It's a story also about love and family. I am so proud to have had the chance to be an ever so small part of this journey with Sarah. It's a fantastic read that I didn't want to put down. It was over before I knew it and I seriously can not wait to see what else Sarah has up her sleeve...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven from the Storm.