Jana's Reviews > Home

Home by Marilynne Robinson

May 07, 2009

bookshelves: heart-and-mind, fiction
Read in May, 2009

This book is one the quietest books I've ever read. Just give yourself time...

In the beginning I didn’t know what is going to happen, is it going to happen' at all. Everything was so slow and calm and subtle, main characters kept everything inside.

They were hidden and undiscovered. Every inner monologue was complicatedly layered and deep while every verbal dialogue was poor and in the shadow. They were too scared to talk about what they were thinking, what actually was haunting them and initially that left me a bit anxious. But, nothing negatively anxious, because underneath - they just don’t burst and explode. They are just not that kind of people.

In the beginning I was the problem - I realise that now since in this hyped world I rarely find oasis. And this book, oh beauty, this book – elated me to a place where kindness, gracefulness and forgiveness live.

Redemption is the main troubled theme.

Imperfection of our kind and how we are silently touched by vows of unconditional love that tie and suffocate us, as much as they let us live.

People in this book need quiet space and quiet time to lick their wounds, to heal and to prove themselves again. To find themselves worthy. And where else are you gonna come if not home when you need to hide yourself from the world. Where else will you stare at the white walls and find your heartbeat steadying.

It's a meditation on values. Even if you can’t mend your demons and even if you can’t change things, even if you try all your life.

I so immensely love Robinson's suffering style. It's difficult, it's so profound and in many ways heartbreakingly beautiful because grace, peace and wonder of this book will touch you and change you.

This whole eloquent idea of their painful need for forgiveness and compassion is why I kept reading it. I enjoyed and I adore this book so much. It gives me such deep comfort knowing I can always return to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.

05/13/2009 page 33
9.73% "Ah, tears. She thought how considerate it would have been of nature to allow the venting of feeling through the palm of a hand or a sole."
06/23/2016 marked as: read