Goggly's Reviews > Galatea 2.2

Galatea 2.2 by Richard Powers

2019533
May 07, 2009

Read in May, 2009

While reading this book, I grew annoyed and disliked so much of it. The gimmicks frustrated, the narrator while intelligent was almost dislikeable in how much he overdescribed things, I never cared for C or even the Dutch really, and the neuroscience both seemed above my head and at times laughable (even their second iteration is miles ahead of AI theory now, and they were two men, one of which wasn't a scientist but a writer).

But then I put it down and did something I haven't done since I read Bridge to Terabithia and tried to explain it to my mom; I wept. Not cried, but buried my head in my hands and wept for about ten seconds or so. This book had a powerful ending for me, a predictable one yes, but my God. Not a book for everyone, for sure. Not a book for MOST. But this is my first five star review or review at all for a reason; maybe give it a try. If you don't like it, that's fine. But this is now one of my Limb books, meaning when I ask people to go out on a limb and pick their favorite book not from high school, and they risk shooting their credibility in the foot. It joins Infinite Jest and the Crying of Lot 49 as one of those.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Galatea 2.2.