Jen's Reviews > Witchling

Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn

4.5 stars - great!

First read August 10-11, 2013.
Reread January 20-21, 2017.

The below review is adapted/updated from my first review, after first reading.

I loved this book! Everything I like most in my fiction was in it: wonderful characters (likable heroes and villainous villains), an engaging story, plenty of action, great dialogue, a nice touch of humor and mystery, and steamy sex (lol).

Camille and her sisters are great! I'm really happy to have begun my journey on getting reacquainted with them, and their men. In this first book, told from Camille's point-of-view, we met only Camille's men (I think): Trillian, Morio, and Smoky. But they are all delightful, in different ways. :-)

I liked all the good guys, though of the guys, I'm not sure who I like best: probably Smoky, though, given how much I like dragon-shifters. Morio comes in at a close second. :-)

I also really liked the demons, though saying I "liked" them might be going too far. They were nicely creepy and dangerous, though. :-)

I fell in love with Maggie, the baby gargoyle. She is adorable! Iris and the other secondary characters were also very likable.

All told, in this book we met Faerie beings, a Talon-haltija (house sprite), demons, a gargoyle, a yokai-kitsune (fox demon), a dragon (!!!), a harpy, an Elemental (one of the Hags of Fate), a floraed, and an Elf. :-) I think that's all of them. Though there was also a giant (but (view spoiler)).

Really, I just loved everything about this story. The plot is basically this: A super-bad demon has taken over the Subterranean Realms and has designs on Earth and Otherworld, too. To further his plans, he needs spirit seals, but Camille and her sisters are doing everything in their power to find the seals first to prevent the Big Bad from accomplishing his goals.

Along the way to finding the first of the seals, we see Camille be reunited with one lover and meet one (or two?) more. We also meet a lot of new-to-us characters, friends of the D'Artigo sisters, and some enemies, some old and some new. :-)

All in all, I really love this story, this world (it's set mostly in Western Washington! In Seattle!), and these characters. The only reason I'm lowering my rating from 5 stars to 4.5 is because I did not laugh or cry during my reading of this book. . .

But it is a GREAT story.

And I'll close this review with a reiteration of my opening comment: I loved this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witchling.

March 4, 2013 – Shelved
July 21, 2013 – Shelved as: pcpl-purchase-il-loan
August 10, 2013 – Started Reading
August 11, 2013 –
page 178
64.49% "I am loving this story! If my eyes weren't burning with the need for sleep, I'd finish it in the same sitting I started it in, but sleep is calling and I must answer. :) I can't wait to wake up and read more!"
August 11, 2013 –
page 276
100.0% "Finished! I loved it!"
August 11, 2013 – Shelved as: x2013-gr
January 20, 2017 – Started Reading
January 20, 2017 – Shelved as: features-shifters
January 20, 2017 –
page 40
14.49% "I'm only in Chapter 3, and plan to read more before I give in to the need for sleep. Really enjoying this story so far. It's great getting reacquainted with the D'Artigo sisters and their world and friends. And they live in Seattle! And Maggie the Gargoyle is in here somewhere! (I was reminded of her in the Author's Acknowledgements at the beginning of this book.) :-) (Reached this page on 01/20/16)"
January 21, 2017 –
page 90
32.61% "My #24in48 Readathon is going very well! I am loving this story. Since Chapter 7 begins on this page, I'm going to pause here for some sleep (you all know my love for pages ending in fives or zeroes). :-) There are so many fascinating beings in this story! It's really just fun to read. :-)"
January 21, 2017 –
page 276
100.0% "First book finished for the #24in48 Readathon. :-) I really love this story. In it, we meet Camille, her sisters, and her men. We also meet a fascinating assortment of other characters. It seems like "anything goes" is a good rule of thumb for the creatures and beings in this world. It's really great! :-)"
January 21, 2017 – Shelved as: features-demons