Amanda Watkins's Reviews > The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Mar 04, 2013

I just finished reading this book and I loved it. Maybe it's because I love non-fiction. I am also a big fan of mysteries, and I love books about fairs (weird I know, but I have a thing for fairs and circuses) and history so this was right up my alley. After reading this book, I have new found appreciation for architects, engineers and landscapers. The book also left me wondering why on Earth some people act and do the things they do. (i.e. The serial killer, Holmes.) I would also love to pay a visit to Chicago now and see some of the places they discuss in the book. The author links the creation and construction of the World’s Fair in Chicago with America’s first serial killer, H.H. Holmes, who builds a “murder castle” about a block away and lures in unsuspecting guest from the fair to his dark lair. You get a very good mix of dark and grand, accomplishment and destruction. I would recommend this book to really anyone, fiction and non-fiction lovers alike, although parts of it are pretty gory, or maybe disturbing. I also heard that Leonardo Dicaprio is making this into a movie!!! If that’s true, then I can’t wait until it opens!! Another book I would highly recommend if you do like this one would be “Loving Frank” by Nancy Horan regarding Frank Lloyd Wright another architect, about the same time period as this book. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.
New_zps2190630b photo New_zps0025aa5f.jpg

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the White City.