Christopher Lawson's Reviews > The Head Voice and Other Problems: Practical Talks on Singing

The Head Voice and Other Problems by David Alva Clippinger

I first became acquainted with this book after seeing the author quoted in a wiki article on head voice. Boy, was I glad I found this small book.

Mr Clippinger addresses a critical issue--one that I can identify with. That is, why do singers--especially low-voiced males, fail to attain head voice? I have noticed in choirs that most males have not developed the head voice. As my choir director agrees, that's one reason why there are so few tenors in many community choirs. However, this need not be the case, as the author points out.

Clippinger notes that males singing head voice is the #1 most difficult aspect of vocal training. In classical days, years were spent training the voice, but in modern times, we want a quick short cut--a huge mistake. The author emphasizes that this skill must be attained in a very slow, easy fashion--with absolutely no strain whatsoever. He provides several exercises to do just that.

I found this book to be very inspirational and helpful. I can personally vouch for the exercises that the author includes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Head Voice and Other Problems.