Luke Burrage's Reviews > The Man in the High Castle

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

May 06, 2009

bookshelves: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners
Read 2 times

Full review on my podcast: SFBRP episode #180.

Reviewed with Juliane Kunzendorf. http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/59...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man in the High Castle.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading
May 6, 2009 – Shelved
May 11, 2009 – Shelved as: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners

Jamie I have this in my library at home.
Never read Mr Dick before.
Is this a good place to start?

Luke Burrage Moidelhoff wrote: "I have this in my library at home.
Never read Mr Dick before.
Is this a good place to start?"

It's his best book.

Jamie I'll take that as a yes.
Cheers Luke

Guillermo  Moidelhoff: I havnt read this yet, but I hear Man in A High Castle is very uncharacteristic of PKDs other works. This book is alternate history, so you may get the wrong taste if you start with this, but Luke may be right about this being his best. Just from what I hear though.

Jamie Thanks.
Any other PKD recommendations?

Ryan I liked A Scanner Darkly (both the book and the Linklater movie). I haven't read anything else by PKD, but I get the impression that the central themes (intrusive government, conspiracy, uncertainty about the nature of reality) are recurring ones in his other books. I'll definitely check out High Castle, once my next audible credit comes along -- look forward to listening to your podcast on it, Luke.

Jamie Thanks Ryan.
I will consider it.

message 8: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben You can't go wrong with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep either. It was adapted into Blade Runner but is really very different.

message 9: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben And Guillermo above is right, Man in the High Castle is very good but unlike most of Dick's fiction which is usually mindbendy pulp scifi.

Jamie Thanks Ben.
I'll put it on my to-read list.

George Personally I liked "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" best, but "The Man in the High Castle" is up there, probably second best.

Jamie Cheers George.
DADOES and TMINHC seem to be on everybody's favorite PKD list.
I will most likely do my usual trick of obsessing over a certain author when I finally get around to reading them.

message 13: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul Stella Valis, to me, seems like great literature regardless of genre.

message 14: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben I'm not a fan of VALIS, and I wouldn't recommend it as somebody's first PKD read. It's very inaccessible and I would argue mostly incoherent. Worth a look for completionists but to each their own of course.

Jason The posthumous 'normalized' VALIS novel, RADIO FREE ALBEMUTH, is a fine beginning. It is also autobiographical.

Jamie Thanks Jason.
I think I will read the two previously mentioned and see how I get on.
From scanning the reviews it is becoming clear to me that PKD is not everybody's cuppa tea.

message 17: by Jeff (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeff Good episode, probably one of my new favorites. Nice through dissection of The Man in the High Castle and interesting discussion. While I was listening I kept thinking to myself "wow, that book was great" and after the podcast I checked my rating and saw it was a 3. Hmmmm....I thought I liked it more than that. Probably worth a re-read.

Keith Jones Man in the High Castle is nothing like any of PKD's other books. Most of his work feels very raw, first-draft, which I understand it was most of the time. Man in the High Castle reads almost as if it was actually polished and edited. Quite unique among PKD books, in my experience. Must find time to listen to the review. Don't have it like I used to. Time, I mean.

message 19: by Jesse (new) - added it

Jesse Kona That was an excellent podcast. Thanks to both of you. It turns out I needed a little help internalizing this book, and the podcast did the trick.