Luke Burrage's Reviews > Hyperion

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

May 06, 2009

bookshelves: reviewed-on-the-sfbrp, recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners, paper-book, audio-book
Read 2 times. Last read September 8, 2012.

Second review of this book coming soon to my website.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hyperion.

Finished Reading
May 6, 2009 – Shelved
May 6, 2009 – Shelved as: reviewed-on-the-sfbrp
September 5, 2012 – Shelved as: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners
September 5, 2012 – Shelved as: paper-book
September 5, 2012 – Shelved as: audio-book
September 5, 2012 –
15.0% "Second time through this book, this time by audiobook."
September 6, 2012 –
50.0% "Yup!"
Started Reading
September 8, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by M (new) - added it

M (got a lazy Easter Sunday, hence my spamming you with a number of thoughts re books / podcast reviews)

I think I've said it in my goodreads review of this book. I touched a Simmons novel years back and it didn't click, so never went back to Simmons.

Then when Banks had died I somehow had to fill a reading-void, and listened to your review, and boy, am I glad I did. This is currently my favourite SF book ever. Ok I also fell in love with Great North Road (also 'your' fault :) ).

The greatness about this book is really the craftsmanship in writing, which until recently wasn't found that often in SciFi. There were some exceptions of course and more recently, fortunately, we see more and more SciFi writers who can do style and substance.

While I am a die hard M. Banks fan, I feel that while being slick Banks was not exceptional, just very proficient, when it comes to style. I did felt different with Simmons. (In case you wonder, I am comparing this to writers like John M Harrison, David Mitchel who are excellent with prose, and Ballantyne and maybe Rajaniemi who are less conventional but certainly push the stylistic boundaries).

Of course, Hyperion is also simply great entertainment. Characters are well drawn as is the world building. I am very very tempted to read the sequels but everyone tells me not to :) so for now I have stayed off, need to see how cold turkey I go :)

A small note on the side (just a thought, not criticism): You gave this 4 stars, why not 5? I find, with my own reviews here on goodreads, that when reviewing we always try to look for the good and the ugly, but it's always easy to find something that is not perfect, and so often, we rank something lower than, I feel, it deserves. I think my argument is that literally every artwork could be improved somehow. So ratings given in 'isolation' against an absolute ideal may turn out low(er than deserved). Rather than that, shouldn't we apply a Gauss curve across all SciFi and just rank them relatively. Then, surely this would end up with a 5.
I'm less interested to persuade you to give this a 5, than on your thoughts regarding rating of boosk :)
m