Sharon's Reviews > You Had Me At Hello

You Had Me At Hello by Mhairi McFarlane

it was ok

Rachel and Rhys have been together for 13 years and are due to get married. When the whole lot falls apart, Rachel moves out and bumps into Ben - the one that got away. Ben is married, so is it fate that brought them together again? Did Rachel miss out on her chance to be with Ben?

Rachel doesn't really 'bump into' Ben. She engineers the meeting. I really found it hard to root for either of them, I couldn't take to them.

As for the last 30 pages of the book - it was a piece about everything that's wrong with Rom-Coms and a parody of celebrity interviews. It had nothing to do with Rachel & Ben's story and it felt a little disjointed.

I'm giving this two stars because despite the fact that I found the characters annoying, the standard of writing was good, I really liked the style, and it had lots of wit and humour. For me I just didn't like the characters or how they went about things, so I didn't enjoy it. I'll definitely read this author's other books, because I really did like her style a lot. Hoping the next one will suit me better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Had Me At Hello.

March 3, 2013 – Shelved