Sharon's Reviews > You Had Me At Hello

You Had Me At Hello by Mhairi McFarlane

it was ok

Rachel and Rhys have been together for 13 years and are due to get married. When the whole lot falls apart, Rachel moves out and bumps into Ben - the one that got away. Ben is married, so is it fate that brought them together again? Did Rachel miss out on her chance to be with Ben?

Rachel doesn't really 'bump into' Ben. She engineers the meeting, and then plays dumb. Were we supposed to be rooting for Rachel and Ben? In a way I was, because they are both sinfully boring and deserve each other. I really found it hard to root for either of them.

As for the last 30 pages of the book - it was basically a rant from the author about everything that's wrong with Rom-Coms and a parody of celebrity interviews. It had nothing to do with the story and felt a little disjointed.

I'm giving this two stars because despite the fact that I found it dull and the characters annoying, the standard of writing was good, I really liked her style, and it had lots of wit and humour. For me I just didn't like the characters or how they went about things, so I couldn't enjoy it. I'll definitely read this author's other books, because I really did like her style a lot. Hoping the next one will suit me better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Had Me At Hello.

March 3, 2013 – Shelved