Megan's Reviews > Strange Candy

Strange Candy by Laurell K. Hamilton

May 05, 2009

I found this in the discount book bin of a grocery store... glad I did! Although this is apparently the author of a vampire series, the stories in this collection are very heavy on fantasy and can be a little macabre. Not really creepy, scary stories, though. Sometimes it is hard to read fantasy/sci-fi because the author is so wrapped up in describing the world they have created ~ happily, this is not the case with Hamilton. She is super creative and a great story teller :) The fictional worlds in these stories tend to overlap, but that actually works in their favor. The reader is left with a sense that they are all part of a larger story ~ I was definately left wanting to read more.

What I did find odd, though... this book seems to be all about the self-promotion & vindication of Hamilton. I mean, the entire back cover is a picture of the author... the spine & cover has her entire name (Laurell K. Hamilton) in capitol letters and in a much larger font than the title of the book. Granted, that is not so unusual.

But the introductions to the stories are largely regarding what publishers have turned down her work & what critiques they have given her. Laurell K. Hamilton stated multiple times in this edition that Laurell K. Hamilton is a well known, best selling author ~ despite her struggles starting out. Funny... I have never heard of this best selling author until I found a first edition, hardback copy of this book in the discount bin of a grocery store. (FYI ~ the book was published 3years ago and had been marked down from $23.95 to $5.99) Not sure if I am amused or annoyed by the author at this point. Regardless, I certainly plan to continure reading her work ... for now :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Candy.

10/31/2017 marked as: read