Andrew Smith's Reviews > The Corrections

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

I loved Franzen's Freedom and really couldn't wait to get into this novel. I listened to this on audiobook (it helped that my favourite reader, George Guidall, recorded this in unabridged form). George does a brilliant job, as he always does. The story is long and complex and funny and sad. It has the right mix of obnoxious characters and those who evoke sympathy. I liked it and I loved bits of it. The last part of the book was brilliant and in the end I was really sad I'd finished it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Corrections.

March 3, 2013 – Shelved
May 12, 2013 – Started Reading
June 25, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen Ah, another book that sits waiting to be read. Thanks Andrew!

Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters I take it...you plan to read Purity? I loved it...however --I've never heard more 'harsh' 'mean' reviews about a book in a long time. Nasty --almost kicking the author below the belt.

Andrew Smith Jen - I've a few of those too! This is a good one, though - great story and big characters.

Elyse - Yes, I plan to listen to it on audio as soon as I've finished the current book. I've seen some really mixed reviews of it too. I know you loved it and I'm pretty sure it'll work for me - but yes, some seem to have hated it. It doesn't put me off though :)

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Johnson I am glad to find someone who likes this book. I found it very pretentious and was put off when I read one sentence and it took the entire page. Give me a break. Perhaps if I listened it to on audio I would like. I think I'll give that a try.

Andrew Smith I'd be interested to see if listening to it changes your experience of the book, Susan. Certainly, you're in good hands if you listen to the version I did.

message 6: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine A compelling review, Andrew,. I must check this out further.