Erin's Reviews > Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

bookshelves: series
Read 2 times. Last read May 21, 2018 to May 27, 2018.

Re-read for the 6th time??? SPOILERS ahead

Having been a fan of the books since 2001, I am still taken by surprise how many of my fellow Outlander enthusiasts don't really care for this book. I realize this has to do with 1) The jarring beginning that alerts us to our favorite couple being separated from one another; and 2) Jamie and Claire leave the Scottish highlands for flashy Paris in an effort to stop the Jacobite uprising ; a place they argue rugged ScotsmanJamie Fraser doesn't really fit.

I, on the other hand, absolutely loved the intrigue of Louis' court, the characters that we meet -Mother Hildegard, Master Raymond, Mary Hawkins, Comte Ste Germain ( sidenote: he is my fave DG villian) and even the Bonnie Prince himself. It is also the book in which I admitted that I was already not a huge fan of Roger/Brianna as a couple. I could already see it coming,but it was still going to take me many, many years to accept it. Above all, Dragonfly in Amber includes one of my favorite scenes.

I bring ye your vengeance, lady, he(Murtagh) said, as quietly as I had ever heard him speak. He straightened and inclined his head in turn to Mary and Mrs. Munro. And justice for the wrong done to ye.
Mary sneezed and wiped her nose hastily with a fold of her plaid. She stated at Murtagh, eyes wide and baffled. I gazed down at the bulging saddlebag a sudden deep chill that owed nothing to the weather outside. But it was Hugh Munro's widow who sank to her knees, and with steady hands opened the bag and drew out the head of the Duke of Sandringham.
Chapter 44, In Which Quite a Lot of Things Gang Agley

Yeah, it's a bit bloodthirsty but even after reading this so many times, the little hairs on my neck and arms still stand up a bit. But I assure you that there are so many tender hearted moments too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonfly in Amber.

2001 – Started Reading
2001 – Finished Reading
March 2, 2013 – Shelved
January 30, 2018 – Shelved as: series
May 21, 2018 – Started Reading
May 27, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Fantastic review, Erin! Glad you continue to love it over and over again ;) xox

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen An awesome series!

Matt One of my all-time favourite series (men can love the histories well) that I was pleased to have binge-read a few years ago (including the Lord John books). Sensational review here, Erin, as always! Now then... we need another full-length book!

Erin KAS wrote: "Fantastic review, Erin! Glad you continue to love it over and over again ;) xox"

Thanks, KAS!

Erin Jen wrote: "An awesome series!"

Yes, it is!