Sebrina 's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

did not like it

Many of the reasons for my disliking this book were perfectly stated by Nina {http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...} so I will not repeat those here.

As a person who has personally felt the impact of suicide, this book was very triggering for me. So my feelings and beliefs toward suicide are from a place of personal experience. That being said, my biggest problem with this book is that Hannah Baker became no different than the people she blamed for pushing her to kill herself.

She intentionally premeditated how she could ruin each person's life with grief and guilt. She isn't a person who committed suicide without thinking of how her family and friends would be affected. No, she thought about it a lot and chose a way to inflict the most amount of pain on others.

When Hannah showed she was sane enough to recognize that she was having suicidal tendencies but refused to actually open up to anyone even when they offered help, she lost the right to accuse others of not stopping her. (view spoiler) That is when she stopped being a victim and became a bully herself.

Nothing justifies what others may have done to push her to that place. But it also doesn't justify her doing the same to someone else. She became no different than the bullied kids that become school shooters.

For that, I can't feel sympathy for her. Because all she was, in the end, was a manipulative selfish person who mentally tormented good people (view spoiler)

Finished Reading