Laura de Leon's Reviews > Halting State

Halting State by Charles Stross

2013736

bookshelves: mcbook, sf-fantasy

I really liked this book, but I'm not sure that most people would. My suspicion is that you'd need a hook of some sort to get you far enough into it to be drawn in.

If you are a gamer (computer, D&D, anything like that); if you are a technology fan, wondering where we'll go next; if you are fascinated by the implications of technology on society, then you'll probably enjoy this book. If you like a good spy novel/techno thriller, I strongly recommend you take the time to get into this book.

Otherwise, I just don't know if this book will be worth it to you.

I had a slow time getting started with my reading. It felt like the same issue I have getting into Jane Austen-- sometimes I can quickly slip into the language and the world, and sometimes it takes a while before the story flows. It certainly isn't that it is badly written, just that it is different from what I usually read.

The book is told from 3 alternating POVs-- Sue (a police officer), Elaine (an accountant) & Jack (a game programmer). The reader learns about the characters in the book and the world the story is set in from their viewpoints. However, none of them know about the crime that occurs, and the secrets that are discovered, until they find out over the course of the book.

Once the background is out of the way, the story really gets going, and it goes into full adventure mode, with chases, virtual battles, dangerous mistakes, giant leaps of logic, boy meets girl moments, and so on.

I found Halting State fun and mentally stimulating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halting State.

May 4, 2009 – Shelved