Jennifer Truman's Reviews > A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History

A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History by Manuel DeLanda

bookshelves: history, systems-thinking
Recommended to Jennifer by: Sara Glee Queen

A Thousand Years of NonLinear History is a must read for anyone remotely interested in cylical or systems thinking. To approach the history of mankind with the same model as a scientists approaches a thermodynamics problem could be one of the most ingenious ideas I've read to date. De Landa walks you (through myriads of systems storytelling) into the philosophical world of Lavas and Magmas, Flesh and Genes, and Memes and Norms on a quest, not for optimum efficiency or evolutionary fitness, but for a moment or two of balance between the phase shifts that are our historic eras. In my opinion, every scientist, designer and thinker should read this book - if only for the priveledge of following the thoughts of such a well-learned man.

Check out some of my favorite quotes, ideas and the loads of references I'll be reading up on my blog.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History.

Quotes Jennifer Liked

Manuel DeLanda
“Imperfect knowledge, incomplete assessment of feedback, limited memory and recall, as well as poor problem-solving skills result in a form of rationality that attains not optimal decisions but more or less satisfactory compromises between conflicting constraints.”
Manuel de Landa, A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History

Manuel DeLanda
“But [in bureaucracies], too, decision making takes place in a world full of unceratinties. Any actual system of information processing, planning and control will never be optimal but merely practical, applying rote responses to recurrent problems and employing a variety of contingency tactics to deal with unforeseen events.”
Manuel De Landa, A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History

Manuel DeLanda
“The very idea of massified advertising meant that large cirulation newpapers were not in the business of selling information to people but rather of selling the attention of their readers to commercial concerns... to tap into the resorvoir of resources constitutred by the growing urban populations”
Manuel De Landa, A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History