Marnie's Reviews > Make Lemonade

Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff

F 50x66
May 04, 2009

liked it

This is a quick, easy to read story (I read the whole thing in about an hour) about a heavy subject. LaVaughn is a 14-year-old girl in the inner city who wants a job. She gets a job baby-sitting for Jolly, a 17-year-old with 2 kids from 2 different dads. She gets involved in Jolly's life & you can see how hard it is to be a single teenage mom & what life in the ghetto is like. I would recommend this book for any teenager who is considering having sex, to see what being a teen parent is really like, that it's not glamorous & the father usually leaves, & lots of teen moms drop out of school & end up poor. Jolly is also in kind of an extreme situation, she lives by herself & has no parents to help her. LaVaughn learns how important it is to stay in school & helps Jolly get back in school so she can set a good example for her children. The story is really good & I like how it uses simple words & sentences, like it was written for girls who might have a harder time with reading & would appeal to them. Also it doesnt describe how LaVaughn & Jolly look, & they dont have last names so they could be any nationality & live in any inner city. I think the author wanted to make it that way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make Lemonade.