Theresa's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

May 04, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: borrowed
Read in June, 2009

This book is a memoir of the author’s life after her painful divorce from her husband. It is composed of 108 chapters – the same number of beads are found on the japa mala, an Indian prayer necklace. The number 108 is held to be an auspicious number as it is a 3-digit number, a multiple of three and its numbers add up to 9, a number divisible by three. Using this as a guide, her book is divided into three 38 chapter segments and follow her in her travels to Italy (Eat), India (Pray) and Indonesia (Love.)

She travels to Italy because she wants to learn Italian and enjoy life in Italy. She next travels to India to work on her meditation. Her last trip is to the island of Bali in Indonesia to work with a local guru and teach him English.

I struggled to read most of the book. The chapters on Italy were fun and enjoyable reading. I found her time in India to be a drudge to read. Indonesia was a bit better, the first half drug on, like the time in India, the that latter half was more enjoyable reading.

I often found myself wishing someone else were writing this book. The author seemed to be a bit of nitwit far too often, constantly mourning her divorce and the failure of her relationship with the man she first dated after the divorce.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.

05/04/2009 page 72

Ambrosia Sullivan I agree with you fully.