Michelle's Reviews > Anthem for Jackson Dawes

Anthem for Jackson Dawes by Celia Bryce

liked it

** spoiler alert ** I won an Uncorrected Proof of this book from Hooked on Books who are part of the Bloomsbury group i believe. After getting the book and reading the back cover i thought oh boy this is going to be one of those books that make me cry. For this reason it was a few weeks before i decided to read it.

The book starts off with Megan going into hospital for her first bout of chemo after finding out she has a brain tumour. While there she meets the only other teenager in attendance in the children's ward.

Jackson is full of jokes and seems to be happy all the time. He is so charming that everyone instantly loves him. Megan not so much. She isn't interested in getting to know him because she has friends already and doesn't need anyone else in her life.

This soon changes. Once she has started her treatment she soon begins to realise that she now lives in another world. She is completely shut off from the outside world and only others in her situation can really understand what she is going through. Her friends don't come to visit because it's hard and the things that meant so much to Megan only weeks before seem trivial now. She finds that Jackson is the only one that really understands her and she comes to rely on him and shares a deep bond with him.

As the story goes on it is clear to the reader that Megan is falling in love with Jackson and knowing the situation these kids are in and the title of the book you know this isn't going to end in any happy ending.

I read this book within a couple of hours and it did keep my attention until i had finished it. However the end section of the book really let it down in my opinion. I knew that Jackson would probably die in the end since he had a rare form of cancer and the book title pretty much gives it away. So to me when it got there the author just didn't grab that opportunity to make it more.

It was like Jackson was a huge part of Megan's story and he was a big enough part to the story that the author used his name for the book. Yet he just disappeared. Megan just accepts that he went home. She doesn't try to visit him outside the hospital or contact him in any way. To me that isn't believable. If someone you love is dying you don't accept it. It isn't a part of that process. I have lost many loved ones and a good few from cancer and you don't give up until they are gone. Yet she waits months until she finds out via a letter that he died.

This was meant to be a life changing love for Megan. So i think the author should have not removed him from the story that easily. To truly feel the loss and make the reader feel it Jackson's death should have been a big part of that story.

I really wanted to rate this book better but given the way it ended i just couldn't. It is a good book for a YA to read to gain perspective i think though. It would teach them that things can change in an instant and to appreciate everything they have so yes i would recommend the book. I was just disappointed in how it ended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anthem for Jackson Dawes.

February 28, 2013 – Started Reading