Daisy May Johnson's Reviews > Prefects of the Chalet School

Prefects of the Chalet School by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer

did not like it
bookshelves: classics, girlsown, school-stories, series

There's a sort of addictive quality to the Chalet School series when you reach this point; an awareness that the best books are many moons behind us and somehow all that's left is melodrama and farce, but it's a melodrama and farce that you just can't quite give up yet.

And then, suddenly it's over and all you can do is go "Oh ... is that it?"

All good things come to an end, and the Chalet School outlived its natural end point by many many books. This final installment is tired and more than a little bit sad when you look back and consider the epic wonders we've lived through to get here. And we've lived through a lot together. A disproportionate amount of hot doctors, Joey-will-get-well moments, St Bernards, and the eternal oh heck look it's a natural disaster moment. I love these books. I just can't love this saggy, deflated ending. And, to be fair, it's a deflation that doesn't start here but rather kicks in somewhere around A Future Chalet School Girl.

Prefects comes straight after Althea Joins the Chalet School, so the opening chapters will baffle you if you've not read Althea. ("Pink worm? What's this about a pink worm? And SPEEDBOATS?). There's also a mildly confusing (and somewhat sudden) friendship between Jocelyn Marvell, Althea Glenyon and Erica Standish in a sort of "cameo-of-the-last-few-books" moments.

It's the final term of the Maynard triplets, and Len in particular is stuffed with a particularly thrilling sounding future. If you've not read it, I won't spoil, but I will offer counselling once you read the offending moment in question.

Other things of note in this book include an incredibly bizarre moment where a gang of youths head towards the San with intention of kidnapping a millionaire's daughter who's a patient there. The racket they make wakes everyone up in the school and they all get into a bit of a tizzy. It's an incident worthy of mention primarily because of the fact that Mary-Lou randomly arrives at the school in the middle of it, after having apparently hitched a lift up with the police. In the middle of the night. With the intention of bobbing over to Freudesheim and asking for a bed. There are moments when you can understand why Jack Maynard does what he does in The Chalet Girls Grow Up.

Can you tell I find this title a rather depressing experience over all? There's a sense of everybody being farmed off and packaged up for their respective fates, and an increasingly anachronistic feel to the schools very presence. This isn't what I signed up for, and it's not why I love these books so much. I'm going to read myself some The Princess of the Chalet School to recover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prefects of the Chalet School.

Finished Reading