Arlene's Reviews > The Truth About Forever

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

bookshelves: read-2009, favorites, ya-contemporary, young-adult

The Truth About Forever, by Sarah Dessen, is my favorite book by this author thus far. I’ve become a fan of Dessen’s stories, and I feel she knocked it out of the ball park with this book. Her main characters are extremely likeable and easy to associate with and the plot is captivating and well developed. This is such a great story that starts, develops and ends the way it should. My fave Dessen book by far.

Macy Queen has a strained relationship with her mother after the sudden death of her father. They are grieving in their own way and have yet to talk about and deal with their loss. During the summer, Macy takes on a job with Wish Catering, which begins to change her life and allow the healing process to begin for her. In this job, she meets Wes, Delia and some great friends, and as her mother notices the changes in her daughter, she tries to bring back the old Macy, which isn’t a good thing. During this summer with Wish Catering, Macy realizes the importance of communication, friendship and love.

Macy is such a mature and sympathetic character, which the reader can’t help but care for. Her relationship with her mother, sister and friends is refreshing to read as I really liked the way she treats those she cares for by trying to do the right thing. I truly enjoyed this story and would recommend it without hesitation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth About Forever.

May 3, 2009 – Shelved
October 21, 2009 – Shelved as: read-2009
November 9, 2009 – Shelved as: favorites
January 21, 2010 – Shelved as: ya-contemporary
March 4, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Albie46 This was the first of Dessen's books I ever read and it's my favourite so far!
I was being conservative when I gave it a 4!

message 2: by Arlene (last edited Oct 21, 2009 11:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arlene Albie46 wrote: "This was the first of Dessen's books I ever read and it's my favourite so far!
I was being conservative when I gave it a 4!"

This is like the fourth and my favorite. Okay, whew, I wasn't off then. I was going to give it 4 but when a book stays on my mind and I keep thinking about it, I realize it's left an impact and deserves a 5.

Lala Hey Arlene, thanks for another great review. Just finished this one. I really enjoyed it, but i have to say that so far I am liking Along for the Ride a tiny bit better. This was a great story and I LUVED Wes! However...I have to say that when Caroline asks about the angel in the yard and Macy says "It's so she can fly," and then she runs to Wes. I just melted...and cried a little. Too perfect!

Arlene This has to be my fave by Dessen with Along for the Ride a close second. Wes was awesomesauce!! Everything about this book had me emotional. I loved it!! So glad you liked it too. So what book is next??? :D

Lala Okay....Awesomesauce...totally my new favourite word! LOL
My next Dessen book will be Just Listen since I have it out from the lib. But I just started reading Finnikin of the Rock...so Dessen will have to wait a few days :D

Arlene LOL! :) I haven't read Just Listen yet, so you'll have to let me know how you like it. Finnikin is such a great book. It takes a bit to get into it, but once you fall into the story you don't want to leave it. Hope you like it. :)

message 7: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Looking forward to reading this soon. The rating is promising ;-)

Arlene My favorite by Sarah Dessen. I hope you enjoy it Sonia. :)