Erin Schuett's Reviews > Shug

Shug by Jenny Han

F 50x66

did not like it

I read Shug by Jenny Han. It has 248 pages and even though in the past I have really liked this author’s work but I did not enjoy this book. If it wasn’t assigned to our class I would have stopped reading.

I really did not like this book. I believe that the reason I didn’t like it was because I absolutely hated the main character, Annemarie. Another name Annemarie was known by was Shug. She was so insecure and always felt her life was the worst thing you could ever imagine. I just wanted to jump into the book and smack her. Then, I would have pinned her down and told her that even though she has it bad, someone else always has it worse. What I am trying to say is that it’s okay to feel sorry for yourself sometimes because she didn’t have the greatest life, but I have seen poor, homeless people with a more optimistic view on life than her. Over all I think that if Shug would have just gotten over herself and her problems the book would have been much better.

The only part I did like of this book was the very ending. Annemarie and Jack, her childhood enemy, kissed! I was so surprised that I actually got up, threw my book on the ground, and started jumping around! I was so excited that something interesting actually happened in my book. If I could have I don’t know if I would have changed the ending. But, if I did I would have killed off the mom or had the father called child services to get his girls out of their alcoholic mother’s home. I sure as heck wouldn’t have had her never speak to her childhood friend again. And I definitely wouldn’t have had her kiss Jack then have him leave town! This author wrote one of my favorite books but I think she was slacking on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shug.

Finished Reading
February 27, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Danielle She is like that way because she was twelve. When I was twelve I thought the world revolved around me too. And her family was kinda "broken", that's why I understood why she was like that. Too much pressure on a twelve-year old. But we do have the same favorite part!!!! Totally agree with Jack not hAving to leave town.