Maria Ella's Reviews > Po-on

Po-on by F. Sionil José

Feb 27, 2013

bookshelves: historical, pinoy-publication, 2013-reading-challenge, to-cry-for, book-discussion, warzone

There is something in the way F. Sionil Jose narrates stories of the setting in which a Manileña like me, was able to reflect to the daily lifestyle and random situations of the Samsons (previously Salvadors) on their exodus from Cabunaw to Bo. Cabunawanan, Rosales, Pangasinan. It is more of touching your heart not only as a reader, but also your nationalistic soul as a Filipino. :)

I was impressed in the structure of the novel - it has two viewpoints: the narrator, while elaborating the adventures of the characters, and the conscience of the protagonist named Istak. I was also in awe on how the author started and ended the novel with a correspondence, seemingly like an open letter to any reader of the changing times - from the time of oppression, to the time of the revolution.

It was sad that the end left hanging, especially on Dalin's side. Though we all know that she learned about the noble duty of Istak, the aftermath of the war on Pasong Tirad is not told, however we have been hinted that the American has plans to visit the family and surrender the journal. :)

This is definitely a goodread.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Po-on.

February 27, 2013 – Started Reading
February 27, 2013 – Shelved
February 27, 2013 – Shelved as: historical
February 27, 2013 – Shelved as: pinoy-publication
March 19, 2013 –
page 192
83.12% "From exodus to staying put to healing to embarking in yet another adventure of Istak. This story is not only a historical fiction but also a search of man for the essence of his life."
March 20, 2013 – Finished Reading
March 28, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013-reading-challenge
March 28, 2013 – Shelved as: to-cry-for
August 15, 2014 – Shelved as: book-discussion
August 15, 2014 – Shelved as: warzone

K.D. Absolutely Yey! 5 stars! :)

Maria Ella Maganda kasi talaga eh. Ramdam ko ang bawat adventure ni Istak. :)