Sasha Cameron's Reviews > The Nightlife: New York

The Nightlife by Travis Luedke

liked it
bookshelves: erotica, paranormal

This story has all the right elements and is a great premise for a different, harder and more aggressive paranormal love story. There is great tension in what appears to be a very one sided adult relationship lived in the seedier side of New York night life. It is also something of a coming of age story for Aaron who finds himself in a bloodlust relationship with the enigmatic Michelle.

What doesn't ring true for me is the development of their emotional bond. Not that the tension of being a bloodslave isn't a great element to the story but the depth of the emotional transition that I wanted just didn't come through for me. For significant sections of the book I felt nothing for Michelle as a heroine and yet she had a great backstory. Aaron grows as a complex hero throughout the story but the ease with which he engages other sexual encounters makes his claims to one eternal love for Michelle a little difficult to believe.

I am hoping that there is more to these two as the series progresses because they have great promise in what is really an engaging and well constructed narrative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nightlife.

Started Reading