Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}'s Reviews > A Cursed Embrace

A Cursed Embrace by Cecy Robson

Initial thoughts: Cecy Robson you have some serious explaining to do?!!! My heart wasn't ready for that ending! #willneedsometimetorecover

Originally reviewed on Romancing the Dark Side:

Cecy Robson tore my heart out and then slowly put it back into place with this book!

The Weird Girls series continues with more action, suspense and raw emotion in A Cursed Embrace! Celia Wird and her sisters are doing their best to maintain some normalcy in their lives, after their brush with death while saving Misha and his vampire family. Things seem to be going well until a dead were-racoon appears on their doorstep and they soon learn about a string of gory murders that are possibly linked to demons, from Aric and his pack’s investigation. To find the killer, Celia and her sisters team up with Aric and his pack, but as they get closer to solving the case they discover a more sinister force is at work, one that threatens to destroy everything Celia holds dear, including her chance at love.

I didn’t think Ms. Robson could make me love her characters any more but she proved me wrong with A Cursed Embrace! The story focuses more on character development this time around and it’s great to see Celia’s growth and her vulnerability, especially when it comes to Aric. The tension of the forbidden romance between Celia and Aric is still thick in the air when the story begins, but the truth behind their strong connection is revealed as events unfold. There are times when I was frustrated with Ceilia’s lack of confidence when it comes to Aric and his secretive ways but I was rooting for them the entire time. We see more interaction and romance between these two in this book and while I’ll always want more when it comes to their story, Ms. Robson delivers on the sexy!

A Cursed Embrace has a darker tone than its predecessor, but the sprinkling of humor by the characters brings a lighter feel, adding great balance to the story. Cecy Robson has a way of drawing you into her world with her fluid writing style and emotional storytelling, it’s hard not to become invested in her character’s lives. She’s crafted not one but four strong heroines, each with a distinct personality and given each sister an equally charming love interest.

The relationships between the Wird sisters are stronger than ever and I love that each new couple gets a little bit of ”screen-time” in this installment. This series is full of yummy alphas and we get a little more insight into each leading man: Aric is still the brooding, stubborn alpha, Liam is the fun and outspoken one, Koda is the sensible protective type and Gemini’s standoffish ways are slowly being challenged by Celia’s sister Taran. As the main leading man in this book, Aric has always been a favorite of mine, but there are times throughout the book where I fell in love with him and then hated him for his behavior towards Celia. I won’t go on in an effort to avoid spoilers, but needless to say I was an emotional wreck while reading!

My review wouldn’t be complete if I failed to mention my second favorite leading man in this series, the smooth talking master vampire, Misha. It was a pleasant surprise to see more of him, I can’t get enough of his character and am happy to see his role in this series is growing. Everyone that has read my reviews knows I’m a huge opponent of love triangles but this one between Aric, Celia and Misha is so brilliantly executed I enjoy watching it unfold!

I can go on about how much I love this book and the entire series but I’ll let the book speak for itself. A Cursed Embrace is an emotional, thrill ride that will keep you turning the pages and maybe even want to fling your book/ereader across the room at times (yes, it’s that kind of book!). My heart needed a little mending after reading this book and yet I’m anxiously awaiting my next emotional ride with the fierce Wird sisters. Cecy Robson is a phenomenal talent who knows just how to deliver a story filled with suspense, action, humor and romance…leaving you craving for more!

*ARC courtesy of author in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cursed Embrace.

February 26, 2013 – Shelved
June 1, 2013 – Started Reading
June 1, 2013 – Shelved as: werewolves
June 1, 2013 – Shelved as: magic
June 1, 2013 – Shelved as: shifters
June 1, 2013 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
June 1, 2013 – Shelved as: vampires
page 45
12.23% "Damn that nosy neighbor Ms. Mancuso for ruining Celia and Aric's make out session! What a tease that scene was!"
page 65
17.66% "Those baby demons sound pretty fugly!"
page 110
29.89% "Well it's about time Celia and Aric! <3"
page 135
page 157
42.66% ""Go to church and get some morals, hussy!" Mrs. Mancuso has some of the best lines! #loveher"
page 186
50.54% "Uh oh, Misha's get feisty...watch out Celia! ;)"
June 22, 2013 –
65.0% "Gin you are my kind of girl, no second thoughts, no regrets. :) I must finish this book today! #determined"
June 22, 2013 –
page 200
July 6, 2013 –
page 265
72.01% "WTF Aric?! Things were going so well..."
July 6, 2013 – Shelved as: my-favorites