Mahlon's Reviews > Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

May 02, 2009

bookshelves: read-2009
Recommended to Mahlon by: Kate McAnaney
Recommended for: Everyone

Malcolm Gladwell has written yet another thought-provoking book. In Blink he postulates that often our first impressions or gut instincts are more likely to lead us to the the correct decision than if we spent a long time gathering information and weighing out the pros and cons of the particular situation. In other words, you should "trust your gut" In trademark Gladwell fashion he uses many entertaining stories and case studies to illustrate his points, while at the same time cautioning against trusting your first impressions too much. I don't think his arguments are as well articulated as those in The Tipping Point, but I'll leave that up to the individual reader to decide for themselves.

My previous complaints about Gladwell's organization, and the repetition of his writing are still valid. I find reading the beginning of one of his chapters to be a very enjoyable experience, but by mid-chapter I usually find the going excruciatingly slow, and by the end I feel as if I've been wandering around the desert for days, and have finally found my way back to civilization.

Despite these minor flaws, at the end of his books I always find myself excited as to what his next project might be, and eager to share his insights with others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink.

May 2, 2009 – Shelved
May 2, 2009 –
page 3
0.97% "Chapter 1 Pt. 2 228 5%"
May 3, 2009 –
page 18
5.84% "Chapter 1 303 7%"
May 25, 2009 –
page 189
61.36% "Chapter 6 2347 60%"
Started Reading
May 26, 2009 –
page 245
May 26, 2009 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Have read really good things about this book. can't wait to read your review.

Rachel I have really enjoyed all his books, but blink was my least favorite. I loved his newest book Outliers.

Gerry thanks ...I was wandering around the desert to ..and Got it lost..