Simone's Reviews > My Journey

My Journey by Jim Stynes

7520534

bookshelves: great-aus-reads-2013

Although I do not follow AFL, I was interested to read this book about legendary player Jim Stynes. Diagnosed with melanoma in his early 40s, he fought against cancer for several years before finally succumbing last year, leaving behind his wife and young children.

It was interesting to read Jim's journey from an average upbringing in the Dublin suburbs, to the big time First Grade in the Australian AFL competition. As is often the case there was some luck as well as raw talent involved in him being chosen for a pilot program that recruited Irish Gaelic Football players. Although difficult for him to leave his large family and big circle of friends, he couldn't deny that the opportunity was too good to pass up.

As is often the case with cancerous growths Jim initially ignored the warning signs and the disease was well advanced before he was diagnosed. Once he knew what he was dealing with though, Jim put all his energy and purpose into fighting the cancer and he did have some small victories along the way - buying himself extra precious time with his family.

Jim acknowledges that he wasn't always a good husband and father, pursuing his own interests at the cost of family time. Through cancer he learned to slow down and appreciate them more.

Ultimately this is a sad story as Jim did die in the end, but it is also a positive and uplifting autobiography that will inspire many people.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Journey.

February 26, 2013 – Started Reading