Bobby Bermea's Reviews > Night Shift

Night Shift by Stephen King

May 02, 2009

bookshelves: the-blood-is-the-life, on-my-shelf
Read in January, 1981

I had to do a quick review of a King book I liked because I did one of a book of his I didn't like and that was all I had on the guy. That wasn't right because truth be told he's one of my very favorite writers. I don't know if he would take this as a compliment but my favorite stories by King are generally short stories. Night Shift was his first collection and one of the first books I ever read by him. Every story doesn't hit but the ones that do hit hard. And only Stephen King can write a story about a press and folding machine that comes to life -- and make it scary. He has a knack for that. If you just know the plot you think "That's ridiculous." But King goes there and sells it. An assassin has a life or death struggle with a bunch of toy soldiers. A group of people are stranded in a gas station when trucks become sentient and start taking over the world. An astronaut is infected by spores in space and when he gets back to earth he grows eyes in his hands that take over his body. Crazy stuff. It takes a certain kind of mind to not only think that shit up but to sell it. Stephen King, of course, has just such a mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Shift.