Alexis *Reality Bites*'s Reviews > Selling Out

Selling Out by Amber Lin

SPOILER FREE REVIEW -mature content reader discretion is advised.
4 STARS out of 5
Genre: Contemporary Romance

WOW, this one really caught me by surprise and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it!

"You can, Shelly," he said fiercely. "I know you can do this. I believe in you." ~Luke

'He was the goal here; he was the prize. All I had to do here was the impossible. Walk through fire. And I would win a chance with him. Be a normal girl with a normal job, and I would be worthy of it.' ~Inner monologue of Shelly

photo 683669-bigthumbnail.jpg

In Selling Out Shelly is a prostitute trying to break out of the life of prostitution after promising a friend she would stop. Of course stopping a life that has been ingrained into her being for so long is easier said then done. After running in to an obstacle while applying for a job at a book store, Shelly realizes getting out is a dead end. She accepts an upcoming job from her pimp Henri. Henri who is ruthless, knowing there was no way he would let her go so easily anyway.

'This is my life. I could apologize for it, but I couldn't change it anymore than a ship could change the tides' ~ Inner monologue of Shelly

Feeling like all hope is loss Shelly goes to the hotel where a party is to take place knowing she is a part of the entertainment. A crazy turn of events at the party has Shelly saving a young girl(Ella) plus herself from the life no girl wants to live. Now on the run she seeks the help of two men. Each man lives life on the opposing side of the law, a cop and an ex-dirty-cop. One man should hate her but still seems to desire her and the another man wants her but never makes a move.

'He lived and breathed his work. His crusade against the pimps of Chicago was his mission, the rules and regulations of the Chicago police department his scripture. How could I ask a man to sacrifice his religion?' ~Shelly

photo a1b6faf3d70e515ac47b8ede0da45058_zpsf025b2d0.jpg

'We both knew he wanted my body, and we both knew he wouldn't fuck me.' ~Shelly referring to Luke

photo jOSHKLOSS_zps5511aa48.jpg

The Cop (Luke)
Shelly has no options so she goes to Luke for help. She knows him well enough and... well... she use to be his informant. Shelly and Luke never had a fling however there attraction for one another is very strong.

Things don't go so good at Luke's. Shelly and Ella discover via the news that they are now considered fugitives for murder. After leaving that party without actually killing someone they find themselves really on the run from the law now. And from Luke.

The ex-cop (Phillip)
Now out of options she must turn to the one man who should hate her for what she did to him. Phillip. Phillip, takes her and Ella allowing them time to map out a strategy. A strategy Shelly realizes that must include Luke.

Luke agrees to help Shelly and both of them put their lives on the line and eventually their hearts too.

“Don’t you see? I want it all. Your pleasure, your pain. Anything you can give me, I crave it.” ~Luke

photo 6829a3e27e7bb1e869ca5c429b710f94_zps02eedb4a.jpg

Fave Scene

He pulled my hand away, groaning.
“We can’t. You can’t be caught. I couldn’t protect you here.”
I let my head fall back against the wall, clearing my head, finding my footing.
“No? Well, we can make our last stand here. The star-crossed lovers have to die together, you know. That’s how the story goes.”
“Is that what we are?” he murmured.
“The hooker and the cop,” I said. “We’re from opposing families. Fated to tragedy.”
~Luke and Shelly

My Thoughts
Call me surprised but I can proudly say I very much enjoyed this book I had my moments. I think it may have took time for me to adjust to the plot and the characters, and I did around 30% to 35% in to the book. I love how when Luke's past came in to play Shelly continued to love him. Ummmm, I can't say much I don't wanna give anything away. But I will say that I also loved the twist at the end even tough I saw it coming it was still very sweet.

Dear readers,
I recommend this to romance lovers. The story has sexy moments, witty moments and a small dose of action. This book deals with some interesting topics that the review did not touch on, and that topic is incest. Reader beware.

My Ratings
Characters- Lovable and Witty
Writing Style- Good
Plot/Storyline- Intense, Fast paced and at times emotional
Steam Factor- High/Very Steamy
Overall- I enjoyed it! Read it!

Now go forth and read. Then come tell us about it on Goodreads!

For more reviews got to http://realitybites-letsgetlost.blogs...
**Copy kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Selling Out.

February 26, 2013 – Shelved
March 21, 2013 – Shelved as: prostitute-or-escort
March 21, 2013 – Shelved as: rescued
March 21, 2013 – Shelved as: secrets
March 21, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Another great review Alexis!

message 2: by Vishous (new) - added it

Vishous amazing review! adding it!

message 3: by xrysa (new) - added it

xrysa Great review Alexis :)

Alexis *Reality Bites* ★SueBee★ wrote: "Another great review Alexis!"

*Grins* Thanks SueBee!!!:)

Alexis *Reality Bites* Vishous * Racht's Minion * wrote: "amazing review! adding it!"

Thanks Vishous!!!:) I think you'll enjoy this one!

Alexis *Reality Bites* kristina wrote: "Great review Alexis :)"

Thank you Kristina!!!:D

Alexis *Reality Bites* Lisa wrote: "Awesome review, Alexis!"

Thank you Lisa!!!:))

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ amazing review Alexis. im glad u like it too. that scene at the police station was sooo good! ;)

message 9: by Debra (new)

Debra Fantastic review, Alexis!! :-)

message 10: by Baba (new)

Baba  Fab review, Alexis!

Alexis *Reality Bites* ♠ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ♠ wrote: "amazing review Alexis. im glad u like it too. that scene at the police station was sooo good! ;)"

Yessssssss, it sure was! Thanks Sharon!!:)

Alexis *Reality Bites* Debra wrote: "Fantastic review, Alexis!! :-)"

Thank you Debra!!!

Alexis *Reality Bites* Baba wrote: "Fab review, Alexis!"

Thank you Baba!!!

message 14: by Christy (new)

Christy Very nice review Alexis :D

Alexis *Reality Bites* Christy wrote: "Very nice review Alexis :D"

Thank you Christy!!!

message 16: by Mei (last edited Mar 22, 2013 03:43AM) (new) - added it

Mei Great review Alexis!
I HAVE to add this! :D

Blacky *Romance Addict* Love the review Alexis :))))

message 18: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Nicely done, Alexis.

Alexis *Reality Bites* Mei wrote: "Great review Alexis!
I HAVE to add this! :D"

Thanks Mei!!!:)

Alexis *Reality Bites* Blacky wrote: "Love the review Alexis :))))"

Thank you Blacky!!!:D

Alexis *Reality Bites* Kristen wrote: "Nicely done, Alexis."

Thank you Kristen!!!:D

message 22: by Airah ♔ (new)

Airah ♔ Fantastic review, Alexis!:))

Alexis *Reality Bites* Airah ♔ wrote: "Fantastic review, Alexis!:))"

Thank you Airah!!!:))