Kristalia 's Reviews > Beauty Awakened

Beauty Awakened by Gena Showalter

Final rating: 5/5 stars

“Even the smallest light can grow until there’s no darkness left.”

※ update: I did some editing of the review on 17/10/14.

This series is captivating. It will bind you and won't let you go until you read them all. More world-building, plot twists, actions and sexual tension + another virgin hero. For me it was absolutely better than the first one. It made me laugh a lot, but as well cry because of certain character's decision in the end. Still, the story about Nicola and Koldo was beautiful, sweet and lovely. And the cover is true to the characters, except....where is his beard xD?

Story is about two twin sisters, Nicola and Laila, and a wingless warrior angel Koldo. One day, while on mission, Koldo notices Nicola in hospital, beside her dying sister. He notices the demons who poison both of them, feeding of their fear of dying. Nicola and Laila don't have long to live. They both have really weak hearts, and Laila is already hospitalized and near death. Nicola can suffer a heart attack anytime and that despair and pain are exactly what feeds demons. Koldo decides to help them both - and he slowly falls in love with Nicola. There is a lot more to story than just that, it was full of action, there was a side story, interesting plot twists and many fight scenes.

Gena also shows how positive thinking affects the outcome of some actions. Being positive and thinking positively crushes the negative emotions and it helps. It helped me a lot of times, and thus i believe in the message she wanted to give to her readers.

CHARACTERS :

Koldo:

We meet Koldo in the first book. He is wingless warrior from the Zachariel's Army of Disgrace. His wings were cut off by his own sadistic mother when he was young, and he never could regenerate them since. (this was told in the prologue so it's not a spoiler). She blamed him for being born, especially because he was half Nefas.

Nefas are "vile race in existence. A race that sneaked up on humans, poisoned slowly, painfully...destroying utterly. A race without a conscience. A race just like the demons. The Nefas were death dealers. Soul suckers. The age of their victims never mattered. The gender of their victims never mattered. They lived to inflict pain. They killed. And they laughed while doing it."

So Cornelia, his mother, blamed him for everything and used every chance she could to hurt him. And in the end, she cut off his wings and sent him to his father's people, who had done even worse to him. He spent a decade in there, forced to do so many things that he regretted. He was feral, dangerous and without any hope, until he was rescued by Sent ones. And in the end, he became what his parents created him to be: emotionless but lethal. And rabid. After an incident he was sent to be in Army of Disgrace.

In the previous book he sacrificed his precious hair, making him look like his father's people - whom he hated with passion. But doing so, he created friend of Zacharel and respect as well.

He appears to be quite emotionless, but he isn't. He just hides it well because he is afraid of being rejected. He doesn't want to be hurt emotionally so he just avoids contact with other people. But then he meets Nicola, and finds himself fascinated with her. He helped her battle her own demons *literally* and in return he only requested for her to be happy.

Nicola:

Nicola was truly awesome: strong and adorable heroine. Even though she had weakened heart, she cares a lot for her only sister, especially after their parents and brother died in car accident. She is devastated because she is loosing the only person left she loved. And then she meets mysterious Koldo, who read her like an open book. She is crazy, she is awesome and she is wonderful and complex character.

Koldo & Nicola's relationship:

They were absolutely cute. Their relationship was truly unique. A lot of time passes before they do something. So...there was a lot of sexual tension here and there... They took it slowly, never rushed into anything, because she sometimes fainted and he never wanted to hurt her. They must be the first couple ever to have had sex after they had (view spoiler). Which was quite unique in this genre, and that was sweet. But he would do anything, and i meant anything for her.

Spoilers for those who have read it * some are really serious *:
(view spoiler)

Laila:

Laila was really sweet. She is Nicola's twin sister and she was in comma for a while and in danger of dying. She has weak heart, making her vulnerable, and dying. She was always there for Nicola, her only support. She was crazy as well, and just lovely. Innocent.

Axel:

Axel was beyond crazy. He is hilariously crazy Angel who is having more fun than anything. He is like a contradictory Koldo. His comments are beyond awesome, and he made me laugh so many times. He is weird and i really wonder what's his story - so i really hope he will get his book. His actions certainly surprised me, and he just grew more to my heart.

“Fair enough, since I wasn’t really interested. But I gotta say, I am so proud right now.” Axel flattened his hand over his heart. “You borrowed my patented move, proving I’m made of more than awesome. I’m awesalicious. Is that a word? It’s probably a girl word, but who cares! Seriously. Do you see a tear in my eye? Because I’m pretty sure I feel one.”
Koldo didn’t understand the man’s humor, and yet, he realized he was coming to like Axel despite that. He was strong, courageous and never backed down from a fight. He never allowed Koldo’s moods to affect his own, and he was happy to do anything Koldo asked. Or demanded.
What was the male’s history?
“You’re very weird,” Koldo observed.
“Nah. I’m mysterious. There’s a big difference.”
“You’re definitely weird.”

P.S. This is my favorite scene with Axel and Koldo ever *spoiler alert*

(view spoiler)

Everyone else:

Thane, Xerxes & Bjorn are interesting characters. Their bond is truly strong. I just can't wait to read their books. Their story in this book ended with serious cliffhanger and i will go mad or crazy until the next book.

Cornelia is a truly despicable. I hated her and will hate her always.

Nox (Koldo's father) is totally sadistic and heartless character, and also one of those worthy of hating with passion.

Jamilla was awesome! She did appear before, but not so much as she did here :D I found her great, and i wish she could get a book of her own!

Sirena i liked a lot for the first half of the book. In the second part of the book, i just started and couldn't believe what was happening. *SERIOUS SPOILER* (view spoiler)

____________________________________________

OVERALL :
____________________________________________

I loved this book. I would recommend this series to everyone, whether you have read LOU or not. Series can be read as a separate series, but i have a feeling that as more books are written, the more crossovers it will have with LOU. Anyway, cool series ♥

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

MY ANGELS OF THE DARK REVIEWS:

Wicked Nights (Angels of the Dark, #1)
Beauty Awakened (Angels of the Dark, #2)
Burning Dawn (Angels of the Dark, #3)

This review can be found on my blog: infinity-of-time.blogspot.com also known as...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Awakened.

Quotes Kristalia Liked

Gena Showalter
“Words were one of the most powerful forces known— or unknown— to man. The Most High had created this world with His words. And humans, who had been fashioned in His image, could direct the entire course of their lives with their words, their mouths as the rudder on a ship, as the bridle on a horse. They produced with their words. They destroyed with their words.”

Gena Showalter
“Even the smallest light can grow until there’s no darkness left.”

Gena Showalter
“But I gotta say, I am so proud right now.” Axel flattened his hand over his heart. “You borrowed my patented move, proving I’m made of more than awesome. I’m awesalicious. Is that a word? It’s probably a girl word, but who cares! Seriously. Do you see a tear in my eye? Because I’m pretty sure I feel one.”
tags: axel

February 26, 2013 – Shelved
February 28, 2013 – Started Reading
February 28, 2013 –
24.0% "Now he ..blaskipsentence..., making him more beautiful than any model and sexy in a way that should have been illegal. Seriously. Giant warrior man had her drooling. He was total Drogo hot.\n \n Khal Drogo hot??? Not that i mind that. xD (and he might look like him (he has a beard like that)\n "
February 28, 2013 –
100.0% " Oh.MY.GOD!!!!! THIS WAS A-M-A-Z-I-N-G~!\n \n \n \n I NEED MORE..........When is the next book coming out? \n \n review to come :P\n \n ****"
February 28, 2013 – Shelved as: be-my-heroes-please
February 28, 2013 – Finished Reading
March 1, 2013 – Shelved as: they-are-so-awesome-hot-and-stuff
March 1, 2013 – Shelved as: reviewed
June 7, 2013 – Shelved as: made-me-smile-or-laugh

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)

message 1: by ♥ Unaeve (new)

♥ Unaeve ♥ Great review Kristalia,shure made me interested!

Kristalia Hehehhe, thank you ♥

message 3: by Debra (new)

Debra Great review!!! This series sounds very interesting...I'll have to check it out someday! :-D

Kristalia You really should! :) it is interesting :)

Brittany I loved Axel, his personality sort of reminded me of William from LOTU.

Kristalia Hehehe, yeah Axel is totally awesome. I have yet to read LOTU :)

Brittany You must, the series is amazing <3

Kristalia Hehehe, i will. I already liked the characters from LOTU that appeared through this series :D

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ glad to hear u loved it Kristalia. i was wondering how this one would be!

wonderful review and pics!

message 10: by Vishous (new) - added it

Vishous wonderful review Kristalia :)

Kristalia ♠ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ♠ wrote: "glad to hear u loved it Kristalia. i was wondering how this one would be!

wonderful review and pics!"

It's awesome :D

Kristalia Vishous * RACHT's MINION! * wrote: "wonderful review Kristalia :)"

Thanx <3

Blacky *Romance Addict* OMG I must read this one!!!!!! Great review K! I'm putting it in my next-up so I don't forget :)

Kristalia Blacky wrote: "OMG I must read this one!!!!!! Great review K! I'm putting it in my next-up so I don't forget :)"

hahahahah, do it, do it, do it <3
it's awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Great review!!

Kristalia Melissa wrote: "Great review!!"

TY :D

Feminista Great review Kris! You had me at virgin hero and Sam Winchester's gif :D

Kristalia Nabk11 wrote: "Great review Kris! You had me at virgin hero and Sam Winchester's gif :D"

Hahahah lol. You will like this one :D
Sam is looooooove <3

Feminista This is me after reading your review: When is it coming out?!? =I

:O it's already out!

Kristalia hahahah, i read it as soon as i saw it was out <3

message 22: by Dd (new)

Dd Wonderful review K!!:))

Kristalia Dd wrote: "Wonderful review K!!:))"

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ Awesome review, my beautiful crystal!!! I loved this book! :D

Kristalia thanx love ^_^
omfg, when did you read it O_O

Patsy i agree completely

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ Kristalia wrote: "thanx love ^_^
omfg, when did you read it O_O"

hehehehehhehehehehe... I'm sneaky that way... Totally blindsided you!!! LOL! This weekend, babe, but because of my buddy read I was posting too many status updates to add more... <3

Kristalia Patsy wrote: "i agree completely"

^_^

Kristalia Georgia wrote: "Kristalia wrote: "thanx love ^_^
omfg, when did you read it O_O"

ahahahahahaa

lol

i just entered goodreads, didn't even get to check statuses xD

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ You won't find any for this book... I spammed you all the weekend cause of my buddy read so I was too exhausted and glued to the pages to post new ones... xo

hehheheheheheheheehehehehehehehehhehe!

Kristalia ahahaahahahhahahhaahhaaa loooooooooooool xDDD
well, true enough :D

Feminista I am reading this!!!

Feminista Like NOW

Kristalia OH YESSSSSSSSSS ♥

message 35: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo ★The Book Sloth★ Aww...Love the review! I can't wait for the series to go on!!
The triplets are bound to be tortured heroes like we haven't seen before!

Kristalia thanx :D
me too :D
next book is with Thane ♥
yeeeees, they are, and i cant wait ♥

message 37: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo ★The Book Sloth★ I can't wait to see what heroine Gena paired him with!(this waiting is killing me)

Although I admit I'm a little bit more curius about Xerxes.

Kristalia hahahahhah yeah ;)

i wannna know about him too :)

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party Awesome review, Kristalia, I love how you get so detailed when talking about the characters, really brings the reader into the review! :D

Kristalia Awwww thank you *blushes* :D

message 41: by • Lisa • (new)

• Lisa • Really fantastic review as ALWAYS!!! ❤

message 42: by Duchess Nicole (new)

Duchess Nicole Another fab review, Kristalia!

Kristalia thanx Nicole! ♥

message 44: by Brittni (new)

Brittni Nice Review Hun!!! =))

Kristalia thanks honey ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

It's just me Shelly B Great review!!

Kristalia thanx ♥