Beejay's Reviews > A Man for All Seasons

A Man for All Seasons by Robert Bolt

May 02, 2009

bookshelves: my-top-shelf

When you read a play at school and it stays with you for life, that indeed says something.

Magnificent writing by Robert Boltbrings to life, in a wonderful and tangible way, the story of an honourable man who refuses, for the good of his very soul, to bow to almost unbearable pressure. Bolt's play Man for All Seasons was then beautifully tranlated to the screen, with Paul Schofield playing Sir Thomas More and an extremely young John Hurt as the duplicitous Richard Rich. Superb play; superb casting; superb movie.

Nobody who reads the play, and hopefully then sees the movie, can ever forget More's last words - and forgive me if I am here somewhat less than verbatim - "Friend, be not afraid. You send me to God. He will not refuse one who is so blithe to go to him", or, indeed, the wearisome resignation and exasperation behind the simple line, "Oh, sweet Jesus, these plain, simple men".

This is one of those gems that you reach for when you want to be reminded of just how much pleasure is given by a true wordsmith. Marvellous stuff - I still feel the same thrill about this book as I did way back at high school, and that's a long time ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Man for All Seasons.