Mary's Reviews > The Christmas Sweater

F 50x66
May 01, 2009

bookshelves: just-finished
Read in May, 2009

The Christmas Sweater is the story of a 13-year old boy who is given a Christmas sweater, which he scorns, having wanted a bicycle. He crumples the sweater into a ball and throws it on the floor of his room. When his mother dies in a freak car accident, Eddie is sent to live with his grandparents, with only the sweater to remember her by. Orphaned, bitter, angry and alone, Eddie is tormented by dreams of the way he treated his mother, until he meets someone who understands him: a next-door neighbor who may or may not actually exist. With Russell's help, Eddie is able to come to see the sweater as something that will stay with him for the rest of his life and ultimately teach him that the true meaning of a gift that it is given with love.

I this book was GREAT!! Funny, touching, thought provoking, surprising. I enjoyed listening to this story, especially the relationship with Eddie and his Grandfather. The story makes you think about all the things that people in your life sacrafice for you and what they would do for you and how much you would miss it when it's gone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Christmas Sweater.

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Erskine I was WONDERING if that's what you meant - to LISTEN to it. I've got it asked for (the book) at the library. I'll see if they happen to HAVE the audio, also, JUST in case.
Nancy